7 Months on the road in an OBS (Pics) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7 Months on the road in an OBS (Pics)

I haven't posted here much, but when I've had problems, these forums have been a huge help.

I've spent the last 7 months cruising around the American West with my girlfriend and our dog. We've had out fair share of fun and minor mechanical issues, but the OBS pretty much kicks ***. It's got an older Lance camper on it, which is heavy and cumbersome, but very livable.

We'll be landing in Austin Texas and staying there for October/November, and I'm planning on taking care of some issues with the rig; when climbing steep mountain passes, I find myself wanting just a big more power.

I'm planning on a turbo-back exhaust system - leaning towards the Diamond Eye stainless steel. I've read issues with fitment on trucks with an MT (firewall/bell housing): Will a 3 inch downpipe fit if I massage the firewall a bit? I'm assuming a 4 inch downpipe is out of the question?

I'm also planning on throwing in a new CPS, GPR, aluminum radiator, thermostat, and coolant filter (all for added peace of mind).

Aside from that, I've pretty much made up my mind on the 6637 intake setup, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I should have another $1k to spend after that's all said and done - any other ideas?

It'll eventually get an intercooler and a tune, but that's probably going to wait until I'm back home and can address some other issues. The previous owner dented the oil pan while crawling some small rocks. It leaks a little, so I'll inevitably have to pull the motor. Figure that will be a good time to weigh my options on new injectors, tune, etc. And a solid front axle, of course...

Here are a few pictures of the rig from the trip so far:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
wow 7 months on the road... thats insane but awesome at the same time... i have always wanted to go cross country hitting up all the national land marks bue have too many kids to do it comfortably hahaha...

the 3" DP will fit fine.. you wont be able to fit a 4" though.. also dont forget your gauges...
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
wow 7 months on the road... thats insane but awesome at the same time... i have always wanted to go cross country hitting up all the national land marks bue have too many kids to do it comfortably hahaha...

the 3" DP will fit fine.. you wont be able to fit a 4" though.. also dont forget your gauges...
It's been epic - no kids makes it manageable. You could always pull a massive 5 wheel and make the kids hang outside as often as possible, haha.

EGT would be my first priority - what others would you recommend?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Trip sounds awesome. Good for you guys!

I'd just do a downpipe and cat delete, your exhaust is perfectly fine (unless it's rusted out of course).

Do the 6637 intake, TS chip with tunes (I run Wildman), boost trans and EGT gauges, then do an intercooler if you have enough to put the parts together. That'll run it plenty fine with a camper on it. You'll be surprised what the chip alone will do if your injectors are in good shape.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Agreed on this, your plans sound fine too, just get gauges and a chip with custom tunes you will love it
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by s54mcoupe View Post
It's been epic - no kids makes it manageable. You could always pull a massive 5 wheel and make the kids hang outside as often as possible, haha.

EGT would be my first priority - what others would you recommend?
its its automatic then def a trans temp and boost...
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM

His sig says short bed stick shift guys
Old 09-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the input. And yup, it's a manual with a Southbend Clutch (dual mass POS died while we were in the Eastern Sierras).

I'll probably do a full exhaust, just Cus I might as well while I'm down there.

As for an IC - I know there are a few options that can be pieced together, and then there is the Banks option. I know the banks IC is expensive, but it also looks clean and seemingly doesn't need much work for a pretty nice fit. Seems like the only piece in their lineup that can't be bought from another vendor for half the cost...

I'll get more pictures uploaded of the rig while I'm still around wifi. Enjoying a week in Denver
Old 09-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Look at the cxracing ones on eBay, couple guys here seem to really like them, and they are half the cost
Old 09-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do the gauges and chip before the other mods, see what temps you are running. May not need the intercooler.

With my Federal truck with stock injectors it takes a long hard pull to get to 1300. 1200 is easy to stay at pulling my Jeep at 6000 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.