Mods for best MPG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mods for best MPG

I am new here and also a new diesel owner. I have an 02 F250 crew cab 4wd short box. I want to do everything I can to get the best mileage I can from my truck. Below is a list of what I plan to do and/or have done. If there is anything else please let me know. I would also like to know your results based on your mods. What is the best mileage you have gotten?

Full synthetics - Next on the list
AMSOIL DEO 5W40 engine oil
AMSOIL trans fluid
AMSOIL Gear lube

Tymar air intake - Done

Larger exhaust - Done - 4" Dynomax turbo back

Chip/Tuner - Currently have Superchips MaxMicro
DP Tuner 80HP econo tune

Tonneau cover

Tires - Done
Toyo Open Country A/T's

Lower front end - One thing I'm not going to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks like you're off to a good start, A couple of other things:
Maintain correct Tire pressure
remove excess weight (hitches/tools/misc. crap in bed)
drive with a LIGHT THROTTLE FOOT, resist the urge to "punch it" when that Honda civic saddles up beside you.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Yea I had a Lexus LX570 SUV pull up next to me at a light and I knew he wanted to get by me to turn and I had my MAXMicro tuner tow performance tune loaded. I wanted to play but instead I made hime work for it.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:13 PM

I just wanted to wake this thread up. I want to look at mods to help mileage. So here is one I found so far. It goes inline in the cooling system. Thoughts?

1. The first is a fuel heater that is supposed to aid in fuel efficiency.

Pic of the unit
Site Builder

Max Warmer from howtoimprovemileage.com

-The central piece in the kit is the anodized MAX Warmer. You get hoses, fittings and adapters that we supply in the MAX Warmer kit. The reason for the anodized finish on the MAX Warmer heat exchanger is to ensure good heat transfer.
-The fittings come already tightened on the MAX Warmer. We use Harvey's (gold label) TFE paste on the male threads. Please note the adapters are already installed and tightened on the MAX Warmer as shipped. Do not remove them unless necessary. Fuel goes no further than the TFE paste. -Palmolive liquid soap on the slip-on fittings is excellent to stop the passage of fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid and/or compressed air.
-We suggest only a general 3/8 hydraulic hose be used to carry the fuel into and out of the MAX Warmer. The combined length of hydraulic hose for input and output could be roughly two to eight feet. More in rare cases. The most common hose type is NRP Jones or GoodYear 3/8 gray or blue 2231-06 slip-on hose that can take 250 PSI and 250o F of temperature. The hose fittings are
-#6 JIC push-lock swivel type. The adapters are either straight or 90o elbow but always a #6 for 3/8 hydraulic hose. The right angle adapter normally goes on top.
-The MAX Warmer takes hot water from the upper radiator hose and quickly heats a central heat exchanger so the fuel rises to nearly the same temperature as the coolant. To install the MAX unit, remove three inches of hose to make room for the MAX Warmer shell.
-An inline 3/8 filter is included that you may place in the fuel hose leading to the MAX Warmer. This filter guarantees clean fuel that will not contain dust. -Filters are great insurance. We place little magnets on our steel inline filters to catch ferrous particles smaller than 1 micron, a size too small for all normal filters.
-Note the different hose sizes for your upper radiator hoses where your MAX Warmer will be installed are 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 or 2-1/2 (on diesels).
-Some fuel systems return fuel to the tank and have a very high rate of flow. The high flow rate may keep fuel from getting hot inside the MAX Warmer so we have an optional restriction valve that may be half closed to slow down the flow without having any adverse effects on the engine.
-MEASUREMENTS TO BE TAKEN Measure a section of your radiator hose as long as the MAX Warmer is wide. You will then insert the MAX Warmer itself into the two hose openings and clamping with hose clamps. Be certain you know the diameter of your radiator hose when you order.
-Make sure the MAX Warmer can be oriented such that the right-angle elbow is on top. The MAX Warmer and hoses will need to clear the hood.
Be sure the MAX Warmer can be installed away from all moving parts (fan belt, timing belt, fan blades, pulleys, etc.)

Last edited by MongoVB; 06-20-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.