My Rendition of an OBS DIY intake! Not 6637 or Tymar... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Rendition of an OBS DIY intake! Not 6637 or Tymar...

Hey guys. I have today off work, i was bored and wanted more whistle out of my PSD, 96 F350. The only mods to the truck were there when i bought it, they are Hypertech Programmer (JUNK!) K&N Drop in Filter (JUNK!) and a Mag-Hytec Trasmission pan (NOT JUNK!!! LOL). First, a little about me and what i do...

I work at Summit Racing, and in my spare time i work on my truck, my Jeep, or my quad. My dad and i will buy vehicles for cheap, part them out or fix and sell as a bit of a hobby and extra cash. We had a 98 Chevy 2500 with a Vortec 350 that we parted out....

So... on with my intake! Since we parted that truck out (which has factory Ford Alcoa 5 spoke rims on it!!! I might take those too) I realized that nobody wants a factory intake from a chevy truck so it wasnt worth selling. We were going to junk the intake along with some other parts. The filter was brand new. Napa Gold filter. I started lookin at the silly thing... then an idea sparked in my head... I made an intake for my truck out of the 90 degree plastic elbow on the Chevy intake, WITH a Donaldson filter minder in the elbow, and i used a Napa 6440 Air filter, stock for a Chevy truck.

all i did was loosed the rubber bellowed pipe on my PSD, turn it counter clockwise until it lined up good, (after removing the factory air box) took the rubber gasket and hose clamp off the chevy tube, slid the chevy 90 degree bend into the PSD intake hose, clamped it down, slid the filter on, and VOILA! i have a better intake than stock... Pics you may ask? I only have two but here they are!!

Here is how the filter sits on the Wheel well. This is to hold me over until a buy the LEGIT Tymar from Cary (OBSWIZ, CT Performance)

Here is the stock Chevy elbow with the filter minder, and the Chevy AIT (left there to keep extra dirt from entering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM

I know its not the best intake, it dont look the prettiest, but i feel it should filter better than the OEM replacement K&N oval filter. Plus, i made it (with the idea from Tymar and 6637) but i feel good about my idea that worked so i thought id show it off to everyone. Gotta start somewhere.

Best of all, i can hear my turbo when i get on it. before i had to listen for it. now i can hear it whether i want to or not.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nice work bud!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
Nice work bud!
Thanks man! not too bad for some spare parts layin around huh? lol not like most 20 year olds, when they get bored they play video games, read forums and look up stuff for CB's, trucks, Jeeps, quads, etc, or i go out and work on something (when im not working). Next task, gauges. I have my pilot hole drilled in the manifold, charging the battery for the right angle drill now lol the bit was too long to go in the regular pistol grip drill and have room to drill the hole straight.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder_Trucker View Post
I know its not the best intake, it dont look the prettiest
Function over fashion man! Looks fine to me and should serve your truck well.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM

I thought so. better than that restrictive factory air box. I need to fasten the filter to the intake tube though, its a push-on filter, not clamp. Thats how it was on the Chevy intake too. i dont think it will come off, but just to make me feel better. lol Thanks man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.