Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My Rendition of an OBS DIY intake! Not 6637 or Tymar...

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mudder_Trucker 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have today off work, i was bored and wanted more whistle out of my PSD, 96 F350. The only mods to the truck were there when i bought it, they are Hypertech Programmer (JUNK!) K&N Drop in Filter (JUNK!) and a Mag-Hytec Trasmission pan (NOT JUNK!!! LOL). First, a little about me and what i do...

I work at Summit Racing, and in my spare time i work on my truck, my Jeep, or my quad. My dad and i will buy vehicles for cheap, part them out or fix and sell as a bit of a hobby and extra cash. We had a 98 Chevy 2500 with a Vortec 350 that we parted out....

So... on with my intake! Since we parted that truck out (which has factory Ford Alcoa 5 spoke rims on it!!! I might take those too) I realized that nobody wants a factory intake from a chevy truck so it wasnt worth selling. We were going to junk the intake along with some other parts. The filter was brand new. Napa Gold filter. I started lookin at the silly thing... then an idea sparked in my head... I made an intake for my truck out of the 90 degree plastic elbow on the Chevy intake, WITH a Donaldson filter minder in the elbow, and i used a Napa 6440 Air filter, stock for a Chevy truck.

all i did was loosed the rubber bellowed pipe on my PSD, turn it counter clockwise until it lined up good, (after removing the factory air box) took the rubber gasket and hose clamp off the chevy tube, slid the chevy 90 degree bend into the PSD intake hose, clamped it down, slid the filter on, and VOILA! i have a better intake than stock... Pics you may ask? I only have two but here they are!!

Here is how the filter sits on the Wheel well. This is to hold me over until a buy the LEGIT Tymar from Cary (OBSWIZ, CT Performance)

Here is the stock Chevy elbow with the filter minder, and the Chevy AIT (left there to keep extra dirt from entering.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know its not the best intake, it dont look the prettiest, but i feel it should filter better than the OEM replacement K&N oval filter. Plus, i made it (with the idea from Tymar and 6637) but i feel good about my idea that worked so i thought id show it off to everyone. Gotta start somewhere.

Best of all, i can hear my turbo when i get on it. before i had to listen for it. now i can hear it whether i want to or not.

#4 ·
Thanks man! not too bad for some spare parts layin around huh? lol not like most 20 year olds, when they get bored they play video games, read forums and look up stuff for CB's, trucks, Jeeps, quads, etc, or i go out and work on something (when im not working). Next task, gauges. I have my pilot hole drilled in the manifold, charging the battery for the right angle drill now lol the bit was too long to go in the regular pistol grip drill and have room to drill the hole straight.

#6 ·
I thought so. better than that restrictive factory air box. I need to fasten the filter to the intake tube though, its a push-on filter, not clamp. Thats how it was on the Chevy intake too. i dont think it will come off, but just to make me feel better. lol Thanks man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.