Injector ID question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector ID question

Hello all, new powerstroke owner here, so sorry for any stupid questions. I recently picked up a 97 CCLB, and am trying to figure out exactly what I have. I got a good deal, so I was willing to take a little a risk on some unknown modifications.

The first owner had done what the second owner (that sold it to me) called a "hypermax conversion". When I asked what that meant, they said that it was something with the turbo and injectors. I have no idea if they knew what they were talking about (they probably didn't..)

From a visual inspection I was able to determine that the factory downpipe was gone, and what looks like a 3" downpipe is in its place. It has a 4" exhaust, but I didn't see a brand. It also has an intercooler with a hypermax flange at the turbo and hypermax y-pipe. It has one of those hypermax pyro boost combo gauges.

I am pretty that it has the stock garrett turbo.

Where I am not sure is the injectors. I am guessing stock, but am not sure. It puts out a lot of black smoke if you floor it until the turbo lights up. At about 5 lbs of boost (on the gauge, which I suspect may be inaccurate, need to check the line to it), the smoke clears up a bit, but still has a very visible haze. Max boost is about 15-17 psi. It pulls hard from 2000 rpm on up once boost starts to come up.

Does this sound stock? If I take off a valve cover, would hypermax injectors be labeled, or would I have to send one out to have it flow tested to see what I have? The main reason that I would like to know is for adding a tuner. Is it important what injectors I have in selecting a tune, or do you just use different tunes until you find the ones your truck likes?

Thanks for any help you can lend a newbie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

15-17 psi sounds like stock injectors with a crappy tune (smoke). Is there a chip or programmer on it?

You would have to have one flow tested, but I would bet stock nozzles with that boost level.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That seems to be the concensus. It does not have a chip or a tune that I know of. Any suggestions on what to look for to verify that? This is always the issue when you buy a truck that has had some modifications.

I am going to try to get ahold of the original owner to see if they know what was done to it (yeah, good luck with that...). It has just over 200k miles on it.

My other concern is that the way the boost gauge reacts just doesn't seem right. Hard to put my finger on what is wrong with it, but it seems like it is making some boost (or at least I can hear the turbo spool) before it shows any. Is there a DIY for building a boost leak detector? All of the boots look a little suspect (a bit oily and a bulgy).

It makes good power, I don't have any complaints there, Really, my complaint is that it just doesn't run as "put together" as I would like. Hard to put my finger on exactly what it is. Bottom line, I need some nice weather so I can get out and wrench on it for a day and see what I can find!

Thanks again for you all's sage advice, it is really helpful to have this resource as I learn the ins and outs of the powerstroke
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM

A TS 6 position will have a round knob somewhere and a DP will have a little box with buttons. These will be plugged into the PCM in the bottom left side of the firewall. A straight chip will also be plugged into the PCM. Look in there and see if the rubber plug is gone, you may see a chip. A programmer will probably be plugged into the OBD port.

The stock tune on my 97 was DOG slow building boost. I hated it. I went with Tony Wildman tunes and it's very snappy even before the boost comes on.

You can build a boost leak detector out of a short section of PVC, a cap, and an air chuck. Clamp onto the intake tube at the turbo, pressurize to 10-15 psi and then spray with water/soap. Look at the boots, intercooler, intake manifold, and plenums. I found my plenums leaking a touch that way.

Let us know what you find!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it could have a hypermax programmer on it sticking with the hypermax theme. my guess is the MAP line is still in the stock location. this produces more smoke from unburnt fuel and a laggy boost gauge since the turbo needs to fill the IC before it registers boost.

the MAP sensor is on the passenger side of the firewall and connects with a 1/4 in hose to the passenger side intake plemun. you can move it to as close top the turbo as possible and see if that helps.

here is a pic of mine which has been moved

as for your injectors you can see if there is something written on them (rosewood marks the ones they rebuild) and see if you can track them down that way or flow test them
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 AM

If the injectors have been modified, they will look the same visually on the outside as a stock injector. Having them flowed would be your only way to know, unless you have the original owner's name and you can call Hypermax to see if they have any records. I chatted with Ron quite a bit before buying my injectors from him, he's a pretty nice guy.
Your boost levels sound stock but a stock injectored truck shouldn't put out that much black smoke (unless there's a restriction in the intake). I'm guessing you have larger injectors installed, and up pipe or IC leaks are limiting your boost.
One other thing to check- make sure the pyro probe is installed in the exhaust manifold BEFORE the turbo, not in the down pipe after the turbo.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the helpful responses everyone!

Spent some more time on this over the last few days. The pyro probe is before the turbo. There does not appear to be any chip or wiring for one or anything.

I set out to do a leak test, and the orange turbo intake boot was pretty much disintegrated. Given the visible condition of the boots in the intake track, I am pretty sure I am losing some boost somewhere. So, I am ordering replacement boots for the turbo intake, intercooler plumbing, and y pipe. Then, I will test it to make sure I don't have any other leaks. No soot visible between the exhaust manifold and the turbo, so I think I am OK there.

Also, the boost gauge line is housed in some wire loom, but feels iffy. I am going to replace that too, just so I know it is good.

One all that is done, I will see where I am in terms of boost.

Still loving the truck! Nice and comfy inside with soooooo much space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.