It does not need much.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question It does not need much....

Hey guys! Just joined a while back and would appreciate some input from those of you that have already been through this. I recently bought my first PSD a short while ago. (3 Cummins trucks here also) I dont need mechanical assistance as I have been doing that for a loooong time. Just your opinions on chips and other upgrades.
I bought an absolutely unbelievable F-SuperDuty. 110,000 miles, 5 speed, Dana with 4.63 axle. Truck has an 11 foot utility bed and weighs right at 10,000 lbs. Very clean and rust free for an Indiana truck.
The downpipe has gotta go...who in their right mind would put that scrap metal on a new truck?
With the gearing this truck has it does not need much more power. Maybe 50 to 75 HP would be nice.
I like the TS 6 position mostly because of the high idle option and selectable power. However I am thinking 100+ HP would probably ruin a driveshaft with the weight it has if driven like an idiot.
Been on BanksPower website. What experiences do you guys have with the Ottominder??
I have no desire to "roll coal" etc. I just want a little more power.
What works? What does not? I could sort all of this out with a little experimentation but I might as well do it once.....right the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gaspipe on here has an f-sd he did an intercooler, down pipe, and custom tunes then drove his rig across country, says its a whole new rig, also did an intake, those trucks are serious hosses, but a little pep is always better, good luck
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Intercooler will be installed eventually. Like I said, I want to improve airflow first and then a chip of some sort for just a little more grunt. At RPM it pulls like it dont wanna quit!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Look into the DIY 6637, I've used diamond eye and mbrp for down pipes, had good fit and finish with both, also a test pipe for the cat and muffler

welcome btw
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Emergency Services

Do a DIY 6637 intake, downpipe and delete the cat and muffler, get some gauges, a custom tuned chip from TW or PHP. That should really give you a whole new truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I intend to do a good gauge setup before any fueling mods. The cat will probably be "stolen by some crackhead with a Sawzall while in Wal-Mart parking lot" and a low restriction muffler. I keep reading about the 6637...probably will do that. Now...the chip...so many choices.....
Am I correct in thinking that although Banks might work others will be better do to the fact that Banks is more conservative and geared more toward lower EGT's?
No one else will ever drive this truck. I would prefer to let common sense and gauges control my temps....
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

More info: With a manual transmission I loose boost, rpm etc when shifting. I just need a little more torque @ 2000-2200 rpm to keep speed on highway when towing to avoid downshifting. Unless of course EGT gets to high and then it is what it is.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Emergency Services

Stay away from banks. They are way over priced and there are so many better products out there for a lot less money. Again, for tuning I recommend PHP or TW. You cannot go wrong with either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Little more info. Been driving this truck a lot lately. Early mornings (cooler temps) 50 miles highway and then back home in the heat of the day. Still stock with no upgrades yet. Hand calculated 14.2 mpg at 65 mph. At 10,000 lbs I can deal with that. Curious to see what happens when I get the exhaust, intake and chip installed. I am not counting on a big increase but if I can get a little more power without mpg dropping much then I will be a happy camper. 70 mph takes fuel mileage down the toilet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

After my down pipe I gained 1 mpg, after a 4" exhaust straight pipe I gained another mpg (after I quit stomping it in tunnels and against walls, and my chip and intake added about 2 more mpg (after I quit stomping it to race people, and hear the turbo) I averaged 17 city, 20 hwy with 4:10's and an auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.