Modded Exhaust Write Up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Modded Exhaust Write Up

Converting an aftermarket... or possibly stock exhaust system to TURN OUT BEFORE the rear axle. Simple, Easy and Quick.

I dont know if this will get moved or become a sticky... but this is my shot at a write up

Start out by removing your exhaust. Remove your catback section, then muffler or muffler delete pipe and extension pipe(if its how yours is set up). If its different, remove it to some point between rear tire and transfer case. Decide this before you begin taking it apart. Leave intact the midpipe that comes off of the downpipe to just past the transfer case. If needed use some engine degreaser or penetrating lubricant of some sort.

Here is a pic of the exhaust removed back to the mid pipe. Pic shot from the rear of truck.

Save all of the hangars, clamps and nuts... even the ones you wont reuse. You never know.

Now your ready to figure out which angle of the cat back section you want to use... either the first part that goes up... or the second part going down and out. The angles should be different on each... mine were... especially if you are doing this to a stock system... you would have a more drastic turn out angle from the second part. Cut your cat back section in half where it peaked above the rear axle.

(DURING MOCK UPS... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE EXHAUST WHERE THE HANGARS WILL POSITION THE FINISHED EXHAUST)

Then temporarly reinsert your extension or muffler delete pipe and line up the sections by hand and figure out which angle you want to use. Then depending on how far back you want the exhaust to come out and where the angle puts it, you can mark your extension/delete pipe and angled pieces of where you will need to cut them and they will join together... Its best to start out too long so that you can use all possible hangers and because you can always shorten the entire piece after the weld.

So MAKE SURE you have your lengths and angles mocked up and figured out before you make any cuts. I cut the last part of my cat back section just before the bend and then welded that to my extension pipe. To make the cut you can use a chop saw, portaband saw, sawzall or cutoff wheel. Keep your cuts as straight and true as possible to make the weld easy.

SO BASICALLY... I took the original part of the exhaust that turned out at the rear of the truck turned it on its side and welded it in before the rear axle.

Weld it...

I then, again, temporarily reinserted the entire welded peice to check my length and where it would come out. Make adjustments to length now if you want. And also, if you will be using a tip, you can mock up your tip at this time and mark the end of the pipe for cutting.

In the below pics... I have the exhaust hanging by bailing wire exactly where i wanted it because the clamps wouldnt raise it high enough... This was a problem on my truck because the bushings in my old mounting brackets were wore out. So alot of my support was coming from the double hangar above the rear axle... now gone.

You can also see in the first pic... which people had questions about, that the frame raises and gives perfect clearance for even a possible 5" pipe to turn out.

So to take care of low hanging either get new brackets with new bushings OR shorten you exhaust clamps by cutting them and then welding them back together offset and shortened... ONLY if needed.

Before clamping everything together, you can rotate the newly welded peice and it will raise and lower the turned out section and give you the desired height positioning of the turn out.

Clamp it all together and put on your tip!!! You're done. Now you have a SUPER loud straight piped truck

I probably have left something out. Post or pm me for any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 PM

I thought I was the only one who wore boots with jeans slit up the inside. lol Nice write up man!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lords88 View Post
I thought I was the only one who wore boots with jeans slit up the inside. lol Nice write up man!
haha yeah... I've had 2 pair that caught on fire while welding before because of it though. You can tell that the above pair is one of them, thats why the right leg is ripped so far.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:41 PM

for the guys who wanted more info and pics.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic0084 View Post
for the guys who wanted more info and pics.
That looks great man!!! I guess I will have to post pics when I get it done on the dually

Later,

DEVLYN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.