Just an idea - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just an idea

Ok my buddy from high school who has a WRX STI was telling me that STI's have a water tank in the trunk that if you press a button in the cab it squirts water onto the outside of the intercooler and gives it a "boost" when really giving it hell. Im guessing it cools the intercooler down making the air inside the intercooler cooler and denser which is good right? so I was just wondering if anybody has tried this or if anybody thinks it would work? I know it sounds like an external method of a water/meth injection but who knows? I could easily make a rig up cheap to squirt water on the outside of the intercooler if he is crazy or if it is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 1,710
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think a little of both. I know people spray nitrous on the intercooler to cool it, but I highly doubt that STI's come with that tank setup from the factory. Maybe I am wrong though. Sorry I can't really help more.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eugene Oregon
Posts: 503
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have heard of water injection which was very effective in the 60's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,359
Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
pretty much a water/meth kit like this:Stealth Automotive. Snow Performance Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 Diesel Boost Cooler/Water Injection Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STi intercooler sprayer - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

From what these guys talk about it sounds like it does come with it from the factory, it is atleast confirmed that there is atleast a sprayer that sprays water onto the intercooler

this sites give some stats and more info

Impreza WRX STi intercooler "booster"? - Ultimatecarpage.com forums

Quote:
"The intercooler is larger than that on the WRX and, during hard acceleration, the driver can spray cool water on to it via a dash-mounted button, giving the car an instant 30 per cent power boost"
hell even if it gave a 5% powerincreace it would be worth it, and an idoit could do it how harmful could spraying cold water on the intercooler be, and would probably be cheaper then a meth/water injection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
yea I figured it would be like that kit but doesn't it inject meth/water into the engine?

what about a homemade kit that sprays water onto the intercooler like the wrx sti ^^^^^

this is all a random thought I had and figured I would see what you guys say but I might just be too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,359
Thanks: 23
Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBEAST View Post
yea I figured it would be like that kit but doesn't it inject meth/water into the engine?

what about a homemade kit that sprays water onto the intercooler like the wrx sti ^^^^^

this is all a random thought I had and figured I would see what you guys say but I might just be too
pretty much yah... it cools the air before it goes into the engine... with the homeade kit it will shoot it before the IC which will cool it their... the air is so hot anyways that it will evaporate it before or after the IC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
pretty much yah... it cools the air before it goes into the engine... with the homeade kit it will shoot it before the IC which will cool it their... the air is so hot anyways that it will evaporate it before or after the IC
Im not talking about spraying it into the intercooler but spraying it on the exterior of the intercooler the water would absorb the heat from the intercooler and just drip off on the street, like the sti does i figured if it works for the sti could maybe work for our trucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I think a little of both. I know people spray nitrous on the intercooler to cool it, but I highly doubt that STI's come with that tank setup from the factory. Maybe I am wrong though. Sorry I can't really help more.
-Aaron
I hate to say it,,,but you are wrong,,the STi's do come from the factory that way. The way the suby's are set up is there is a misting system that bolts to the underside of where the hood scoop(this piece is also called the air diverter) is. All the air that comes threw the hood scoop is pushed right through the IC. There is a rubber gasket that seals right around the IC,so basicly the IC is force fed air through that scoop. Guys have done tests on recording the amount of how much the air temp drops because of spraying, and if I remember correctly, it lowered air temps anywhere from about 20 to 60 degrees( depending on how hot it was outside and how fast you where going). The STi IC is about 20" wide14" tall and 4" thick,thats quite a bit smaller than a SD IC. I think you would probably go through a whole lot of water to spray down a SD IC. I'm not sure on how much of a difference it would make on a diesel motor,but it does make a noticible difference on a gasser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobywrx05 View Post
I hate to say it,,,but you are wrong,,the STi's do come from the factory that way. The way the suby's are set up is there is a misting system that bolts to the underside of where the hood scoop(this piece is also called the air diverter) is. All the air that comes threw the hood scoop is pushed right through the IC. There is a rubber gasket that seals right around the IC,so basicly the IC is force fed air through that scoop. Guys have done tests on recording the amount of how much the air temp drops because of spraying, and if I remember correctly, it lowered air temps anywhere from about 20 to 60 degrees( depending on how hot it was outside and how fast you where going). The STi IC is about 20" wide14" tall and 4" thick,thats quite a bit smaller than a SD IC. I think you would probably go through a whole lot of water to spray down a SD IC. I'm not sure on how much of a difference it would make on a diesel motor,but it does make a noticible difference on a gasser.
sweet im not crazy thanks for posting! yea your right it would probably go through alot of water but if you only used it once in a while and hell water is cheap just fill up the tank when ever in the driveway with the garden hose might even put ice in there too I think I might try it after I do my FPR shim im going to start gathering parts and do a pre 0 - 80 mph test and after test to see if any difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors