Big HP Number 7.3 guys Post HERE! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Big HP Number 7.3 guys Post HERE!

wondering what its going to take to build my 97 7.3, Whats the weakest link? where does a guy start on a build? Im looking at maybe aiming for the 400hp mark, then maybe 500 mark, then maybe 700+hp mark. Alot of guys have had success building these motors with BIG numbers, what has worked for you?? I know i cant dive right into the 700 mark right now so whats the best way to build up to it? sky is the limit! whats a realistic Fuel only number VS spray. etc.

PLease dont post up on here telling me how expensive its going to be or reply saying I better have deep pockets, thats not the point at all, If money was an object I wouldnt own a diesel truck period. and please dont post up saying to just buy a cummins or Dmax or a new truck, If I wanted easy power I would go buy a 40k truck and throw a tune on it and id be done, But ive got a 5k truck with no payment that I would like to build, It may take a few years but the goal has been set, Now just need a little help building a game plan!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stage 2s and a d66 will get 400-450 with supporting mods. Stage 3s and a turbo (many choices here) will get to 500. With stage 3s, it would be best to do valve springs and head studs for sure. Now 700, not sure what to do to get there. The best I can say is huge injectors, huge turbo or turbos, and supporting mods

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Stealth srp 1.1, hybrids, tw tunes, modded h2e, modded idm, studs, forged rod motor, black widow ported and coated manifolds, e-fuel, reg return, intercooler, diy tymar, pushrods, valve springs, built trans with billet converter and shafts. Be glad to talk to you about it...had my truck 9 years and with the new billet rod combo maybe dancing shy of the 700 mark.

2one7-sixone9-sixOfour7
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM

very nice, is your truck still streetable? I assume you did the girdle when the block was built? you on fuel only right now? you make it sound easy, big sticks lots of air..
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

more HP from ur 5k truck

I have a 97 with 270k miles all stock. Had a mechanic go over it to see if it was safe to add HP to it. He said those trucks are bullet proof to a certain degree. I then added bigger exhaust, afe intake, industrial stage 2 injectors, BD turbo, edge cts programmer, went from a 110v IDM to a 120v. Changed out 2 piece drive shaft to a single with heavier u joints both front and back. I can spin the wheels on dry pavement at 25MPH. No kidding the back end breaks loose. Any more and I'll need a intercooler. Stock HPOP and fuel pump does the trick. Thats right out of Indusrtial's mouth and it estimating 425HP. Gonna dyno soon. I changed the spring in fuel bowel and it was over kill. Lots more power for $20 but EGT went through the roof so I took it back out. All mods were under 10k. powerstrokehelp.com knows these trucks like the back of his hand. He knows how to get tons of power by adjusting whats all ready there. Then you can change out bigger parts for even more power. With 270k miles on original transmission rebuild is suggested. Thats my next mod. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Big HP Number 7.3 guys Post HERE!-dogs1-011.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfdr13 View Post
.... powerstrokehelp.com knows these trucks like the back of his hand. ....
That guy is an IDIOT
Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I have a 97 with 270k miles all stock. Had a mechanic go over it to see if it was safe to add HP to it. He said those trucks are bullet proof to a certain degree. I then added bigger exhaust, afe intake, industrial stage 2 injectors, BD turbo, edge cts programmer, went from a 110v IDM to a 120v. Changed out 2 piece drive shaft to a single with heavier u joints both front and back. I can spin the wheels on dry pavement at 25MPH. No kidding the back end breaks loose. Any more and I'll need a intercooler. Stock HPOP and fuel pump does the trick. Thats right out of Indusrtial's mouth and it estimating 425HP. Gonna dyno soon. I changed the spring in fuel bowel and it was over kill. Lots more power for $20 but EGT went through the roof so I took it back out. All mods were under 10k. powerstrokehelp.com knows these trucks like the back of his hand. He knows how to get tons of power by adjusting whats all ready there. Then you can change out bigger parts for even more power. With 270k miles on original transmission rebuild is suggested. Thats my next mod. Hope this helps.
Have you tested actual ICP and FP?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The guy had me fooled I guess. I tried a few things and they worked. Don't know him personally. Couldn't say if he is.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Quote:
LOL...... 425hp..... Lol

Seriously, a 700hp streetable 7.3 is in realistic. 400/400 injectors will be required and a huge turbo that will not spool properly to run on the street. Tuning is hard to get right and make reliable. All other mods will need to be done, including a block fill, fire rings, griddle, and upgraded drive train. These HP marks on a 7.3 is reserved to dedicated pullers and racers who don't see the road. The highest I'd go on a daily driver truck would be 250/200s, which will put u in the high 500 up scale but on my daily drive will get nothing over 238/100s because once u go over the 100% nozzle u loose tuneablility to still tow, start up good in the cold, and have good street manorisms in the lower tunes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya I thought the same thing 400 no way. But stock you're half way there 215hp. So 425 is more than easy to obtain without crazy stage 3 or 4 injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.