1.0 housing VS 1.10/1.15 Housing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1.0 housing VS 1.10/1.15 Housing

I've got a quick question. Kind of feeling stupid. I just ordered a 1.0 turbo from a rebuild shop due to mine being cracked. They said they had a banks built 1.0 for only 570 or 450 for a 1.15 with upgrade bearing housing. I just want to make sure I didn't just do something stupid. I do understand that I might need to put a Inter cooler on it down the road. I do not have any plans for injectors since I just don't like working on trannys. this is going on my 96 F350. My biggest question I guess is will my egts just be through the roof and will I start having over boost issues. Will I see better gas milage? I rarely tow, but my truck runs at like 500* doing 60 most of the time. some times ill get up to 800* unloaded. I should let you know I have my EGT probe it the DP. Even with a loaded car trailer with 3 ton of hav going up a steep grade I couldn't break 1000*. In stock or tow on my chip. I think I can still change my order if I call in early in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM

Apparently I asked the wrong question. I finally got a hold of my friend and he said to give it a shot. I don't think I will ever get injectors in this truck. It's not my main towing rig. He said that because my trucks got 38s on it I would probably get better milage due to the fact that at 60mph I only make like 2-3psi of boost. I'm only at like 1500-1600rpm.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:27 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It will spool faster and be a little higher, you should move that egt probe tho, your inaccurate readings could be your demise
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 AM

Yeah I was thinking about doing that. I just hate drilling into the manifold. Anybody ever stick one in the collector? Right before the turbo?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
BANNED by Kris

Hold it! Don't buy the Banks 1.0 housing. For the price of the Banks housing you can buy 2-3 from Beans Diesel Beans 1.0 Housing. There are no moving parts to the housing it's just more expensive because it has BANKs molded into the side of it. On the other note like Kris said you need to get the EGT sender into the manifold. This is two senders on each side of the turbo, note the difference in the readings. This is the difference between ho-humming down the road and a total meltdown of the piston.

Last edited by BigFuel; 05-29-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Wooh quite the difference there. I'll be moving my sending unit to the manifold. The housing is borgwarner. It's a completely rebuilt turbo for 570 with a 1.0 housing and a updated bearing housing. There isn't anything wrong with mine other than the fact that the bearing housing cracked and leaks oil when I get it hot. Has anybody tried this, and what kind of numbers do you see when you put an inter cooler in?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
BANNED by Kris

I ran a 1.0 for a couple years before upping my power. Several guys here use the 1.0 with stage 1s. $570 complete is a good price, I thought you were just getting the 1.0 housing at that.

With stage 2s and everything else you see below I cruise at 470-520* and a slight hill can take me to 650-700*. Towing is where the IC shines.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Ok that's what I like to hear. So the inter cooler will get me 200* or no? Did you love your 1.0 or was it too hot? I realize that bigger injectors would be too much, but for normal injectors.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

I'm going to take that your running a 1.10/1.15?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM
BANNED by Kris

Yes an IC can net you 200*+ on the exchange but of course there are factors to include (outside temp, CFM through IC {from hot to cold side on the inside AND from front to back [or through the fins] on the outside}, your speed through air, load on turbo). I did love the 1.0 housing as when towing on hills the EGTs would climb with the load but then it would peak and fall as the engine increased with RPMs. I added the IC and 1.0 housing at the same time. My stage 2s flow 56% more fuel than stock 90s in half of the time of stock 90s. That much more volume of exhaust means that I need to use a bigger turbine housing or I will start to choke my turbo as RPMs increase. I miss the instant boost of the 1.0 housing but the 1.15 on the D66 with stage 2s flows 33% more CFM than the stock turbo at RPM. It's a give and take.

Another thing that adds to the mix is drive pressure. This is the pressure "boost" that drives the Turbine side of the turbo that spins an intermediate shaft that spins the Compressor side of the shaft. Our Stock turbos are 18YO technology that back then it was though pretty good to get a 14:1 return on your compressor. This meant that it could take up to 14 PSI of exhaust to make 1 PSI of intake pressure. The aftermarket has gotten this down to something like 5-9:1 on a non-VVT turbo and almost 1:1 on a VVT turbo. The more even the ratio the cooler the EGTs will be (less work for the turbo to be efficient).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.