Injector question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector question...

I have a 97 with Tony Wildman tunes on a TS chip. Downpipe and cat delete. Everything else is stock (no intercooler). My injectors are beyond worn out, and want to get some stage 1s and a larger HPOP. Mostly tow my Jeep but want some more power for just messing around and the longer hills.

I can get to 18psi and around 1300 degrees right now. Real safe temp.

However my buddy has an 01 Excursion with stock 120 injectors that he recently got a DP tuner. And on the 120 setting just accelerating with no load he can peg 1400-1500 degrees.

I was planning on getting an intercooler later, but with the 160cc injectors and stock turbo, will I be able to use any of more power when towing? Or should I just stick with the stockers?

Thanks all, and I apologize for the rehash on injectors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can get a little more HP with stage 1's without a chip and with a chip and support mods almost 2x's the RWH. Just watch the egt's a TW's heavy tow tune will help also. just hold 1250* max....short time 10-15sec you can go higher.

We have Full Force Inj's and TW tunes..PM me if I can help.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM

I'll have to have you reburn the chip for the Stage 1s anyway.

What other support mods would I need besides an intercooler and HPOP with Stage 1s? I'm hoping to be able to get some more useful power when towing without having to upgrade the turbo. The fact my buddy can hit 1400 so easy unloaded with stock Superduty injectors and intercooler worries me some.

Right now 1200 degrees is easy, and it takes a few minutes of hard pull to get to 1250 but can get to 1300 if I try not to downshift to 3rd on the long pulls.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Here is what I do for builds here, I'd hold off on a HPOP as your 15* may work fine. If not just get a 17* stocker you can get them under $400

Banks IC kit or diy
Boost fooler
HX kit

Options:
aftermarket elect fuel system like beans or DIY, its not needed but a better system that a OBS fuel system.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The beans kit is a nice setup, I have it and it works very well, it was nice having all the parts at hand because the install only took a couple hours and it quiets down the motor with a noticeable idle difference. But DIY is for sure cheaper I just couldn't get enough time to get everything. How much are the boost foolers? I need one badly.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM
BANNED by Kris

I have Full Force 160/100's and tow just fine. I have a 3 horse trailer with living quarters and with it loaded I'm pulling more than 12,000+ lbs. and I've crossed the GrapeVine several times a year. Like Cary said watch those EGTs and shift as necessary. With a properly tuned chip, like Cary's chip from Tony Wildman, you can shift an auto and not worry too much about the tranny temps. As always analog gauges are a must to keep an eye on everything.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 AM

I do already have Wildman tunes from Cary, Isspro EV2 gauges, Trango Tugger kit with Cary's 6.0 torque converter, and downpipe. New uppipes, new impeller wheel, new boots, and resealed plenums. No other power adders at all though.

BigFuel, I'm only towing my Jeep, how do you think it will do with 160ccs, WIldman tunes, without an intercooler? After I have the chip reburned, will I be able to at least use the tow or Daily tune for towing without backing off to second gear?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM

EGT's are controlled by your foot...once you reach 1250* back off. No one can say at what point you will need to do that its weight, gearing and % grade your dealing with..best advice is save for a IC or water-meth.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Copy. I definitely plan on intercooling it sometime, but I really only tow a couple times a year. But when I do, it's to Moab or the Hammers.

In fact, the trip to the Hammers this year warped my left exhaust manifold. There's some long hills heading to Barstow. Can't get the damned broken rear bolt out and tried a resurface and gasket. Didn;t work...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 AM
BANNED by Kris

^

I vote IC. It is pricy and not straight up easy to install but you won't run out of coolant half way up a hill or pull with the IC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.