synthetic oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
synthetic oil

I have been thinking about switching to synthetic oil. Is it worth the extra bucks? Is it true that once u put synthetic oil in your cant go back to dino oil? Also what kind of rating should i look for in a synthethic oil? I have been looking at duron xl synthetic 15w40 or duron-e xl synthetic 15w40. THe duron-e xl is for newer diesel engines, will that hurt my 95 7.3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3TurboDiesel View Post
I have been thinking about switching to synthetic oil. Is it worth the extra bucks? Is it true that once u put synthetic oil in your cant go back to dino oil? Also what kind of rating should i look for in a synthethic oil? I have been looking at duron xl synthetic 15w40 or duron-e xl synthetic 15w40. THe duron-e xl is for newer diesel engines, will that hurt my 95 7.3?
Well that really depends what the cost of the oil is vs dino and whether you go to extended drains. If you go with a bypass filter and extend drains with sample testing then yes it could really be bennificial. You can switch back no problems. No the new rating is backwards compatible with older engines.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bypass oil filter

Last week I install an fs2500 bypass oil filter on my 2003 F-250 stroker. Am looking forward to extended oil changes using Amsoil synthetic oil.

I'd not only like to save a few bucks on oil changes but mainly I hope to extend the life of my engine. I'm not sure how much I'm really going to save though as I plan to have Blackstone check my oil at $22.50 a pop every 7500 to 10k miles. At $50k a copy for a new stroker I'd like to do what I can to save the one I have now.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can even mix dino with Amsoil, but you wont get as much longivity as with strait Amsoil.

On an older engine that prolly has some sludge, run moter flush of some kind. Amsoil cleans the engine up and you may have to change it soon on the 1st change to get the crap out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.