DIY Injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY Injectors

I am trying to decide whether or not a DIY injector kit is the best route for me. I have no problem doing things myself. What I am trying to figure if my injectors might need machining to restore back to specs. My truck has 200000 miles and I was planning to throw in some knew glow plugs in and I figured that would be the best time to mess with the injectors. My truck runs fine, and I would figure at most my o-rings are getting weak, but right now I think my injectors are working fine. I want to avoid the wait and core charge crap involved with rebuilt injectors thus the appeal of DIY, but at the same I don't want to crack an injector open and find out I need new plungers and some machining. What do you guys think. People who have done DIY kit before I greatly appreciate your input or any input for that matter.

Also if I went to stage 1s would be best just purchase the modified intensifiers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did the DIY's on my truck and they are AWESOME! The truck had 146,000 miles on it when I did the job and it was a mint running truck before and it's mint now. The injector build is fairly easy as long as you do your homework and carefully look into the injector building process that way you know what your getting into. I took my time and went thru each injector slowly and the entire job took like 12 hrs total. I would definetly do it again, it was a totally positive experience, it went great. I didn't do any machining to my injectors, they were all within spec. If your confident you can do the job and your injectors are good now, then I say go for it! Your truck will be so mich more fin to drive with a set of stage 1's or 2's.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Did you go with a DIY kit from Rosewood Diesel? It looks like they have a pretty good setup.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:27 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ask Jim if he has a set of cores. Ask him to build them and send them out to you and you send yours in.

You can give him the core $ or ask him to hold a card # until he gets the cores.

That way you can pull your injectors when his get there and install the same night and then ship yours out.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Ask Jim if he has a set of cores. Ask him to build them and send them out to you and you send yours in.

You can give him the core $ or ask him to hold a card # until he gets the cores.

That way you can pull your injectors when his get there and install the same night and then ship yours out.
That sounds like the way to go, I decided to build my own, but this way sounds much easier and the little extra money is probably worth it.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck needed injectors... so I bought them and had only a 2 day down time since I parked the truck b/c of its tapping.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks guys
Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I ordered the pre-machined intensifier pistons and a spare parts kit with my stage 1 DIY kit. It took me about 12 hours to get the old injectors out, modified, and back in. I also had to swap the turbine housing back to stock, which took about 2 hours.

My truck had 175K on it at the time and the armature clearance was almost like new. New are .0040" and mine were all around .0035" or higher. If you run across a bad injector, you could just get a new one locally and then modify it.

Rosewood Diesel's DIY injector kit
Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
My truck needed injectors... so I bought them and had only a 2 day down time since I parked the truck b/c of its tapping.
How's the down time looking now??
Old 02-24-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk0 View Post
How's the down time looking now??
Ouch......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.