My 97' F-250 Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 97' F-250 Build

First off I just want to say thanks to all you guys that post information on this forum. I have learned more about Powerstrokes in the last few days than I have known my whole life.

That being said, this is going to be my first diesel build. I have owned a couple diesel's, just have never done anything but left them stock. My toy of choice was a Jeep, but now the Jeep is gone and I need a new project. In comes my new purchase to fill that void in my life. Since I'm new to diesel builds, I'll probably ask more than my fair share of noob questions, but I'll try to keep them to a minimum.

About the pickup:
1997 F-250 7.3L 4x4
Auto w/ E40D tranny
4:10 rear end
As far as I can tell, the truck is stock aside from the flat bed and hay forks obviously.
Its a good solid truck with no rust that will make a good base to start from IMO

My plans:

(this month)
Isspro EV2 pyro, boost, and trans temp gauges with pillar mount
Diamond Eye 3" Dp w/ 3" or 4" exahust (havent decided which size to go yet)
DIY 6637 intake

(later)
Wicked wheel 2
TS 6 pos tuner
tranny intercooler (not sure which one but leaning towards 6.0 cooler)
stage 1 injectors
BTS transmisson (this may come sooner than later as my front seal leaks when i get my pickup under my 32' gooseneck with a load of round bales.)
Banks intercooler-(would really like your guys opinions on this as I havent heard much on them. also i would like to know if there is a more cost efficent intercooler that would produce the same or better results.)

My Expectations:
This pickup is going to be used as mainly a workhorse, although it will be used as a beer drinking drive around truck as well. I don't want to get it so roided out that I can't use it for day to day towing, but I do want it to be able to pull a load of cattle with no problem. I'm thinking maybe 300-350 hp. My goals may be unrealistic, but I would like to get yalls opinions.

As far as the gauges and diamond eye dp go, do yall have any suggestions on the best place to buy these? Thanks for the help guys

Now the pictures:

Ignore the K&N sticker..that junk filter is coming out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks good i would get rid of the stock air filter and do a 6637 intake and for the exhaust the stock size is 3.5 so i would do 4 or 5 inch
Old 04-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Don't use it for drinking and driving, trans cooler from true cool woul be great idea, and my f250 is intercooled using custom pipes, e99 spider and 6.0 ic
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Do you have any pics or write up of your custom pipes. The spider and cooler would be no prob, but I'd like to know how you built the pipes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I bought my pipes from another member here, who had ordered them from another guy, I have a couple piks, but did not make a write up, there are several write ups on here tho for it using exact same parts, you could also look into the 7.3 mod help section

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
heat is a killer of transmissions get the biggest tranny cooler you can and do it soon.

banks makes the best IC out there, but the $$$$ makes it not worth it to me. the early 7.3s had all aluminum ICs which are almost as efficient as the 6.0s but don't blow off end caps with too much boost. I think you should go stage 2s inectors same price(most places) and you can detune them that way if you ever want to go bigger yo can. I have 2's in my truck and i gross 20+K lbs regularly. also look into e fuel and an upgraded HPOP. then there are bigger turbos. stages 1s with good fuel and oil can get you to 350 without a doubt. but you can always have more and tow too.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Great info terry..thanks for the help and I def look into the stg 2's
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you can read my sig to see what I've done...

the Banks IC was a good thing...did it in my driveway, by myself...took a couple days, (I'ma OLD guy 65),.... VERY complete kit, with VERY good instructions...idiot proof.

the e-fuel is a VERY necessary thing in my opinion, for several reasons, not the least of which is being able to
actually GET TO the top of the engine....getting rid of the absolutely INSANE Ford fuel system, pump and filter CRAPOLA is a wunnerful thing....
your engine will run smoother, start better, pull better, and be much more responsive.

do it asap....

I would do the items in this order.... :

Intake
CCV Mod
exhaust
TS 6-position chip with Tony Wildman's tunes (He's the BEST for the OBS's)
E-fuel
Banks IC
BTS trans
Injectors AND Head Studs (new gloplugs and Under Valve cover harnesses would be good at the same time). (if you go with Stage II's you'll NEED a Modded H2-E. and better valve springs.)

at this point, you , (depending on how much power you want) might want to think about a turbo....if you stay with Stage I's, you can do a D66, or a modded Stock turbo.

Good luck, and have fun ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.