Just Got my first diesel and its a 7.3 want to know things to do - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Got my first diesel and its a 7.3 want to know things to do

i am in highschool so i dont have reel deep pockets but am very willing to spend what i have on my new truck it is a 95 powerstroke 7.3 5spd with 163000 miles a cold air intake 5 inch straight pipe and 80 horse chip and 1 piece flywheel

please tell me what all things to do performance wise to it i was thinking about the tw 6 pos chip and also if i run this chip at 140hp do i need to do other things to the motor to withstand that any response would be greatly appreciated thanku
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welcome. sounds like a good truck, what do you want out of your truck. normally the first things done are intake, exhaust, and gauges, you have some of that done. I would look into gauges at least a pyro, i would also recommend boost, and fuel pressure. a 6 pos chip is great, custom tunes are better than canned/generic tunes. You have already dealt with the DMF which is also very good, is the clutch upgraded or just a stock HP replacement? beyond that the sky is the limit, IDM mod, Cali fuel spring (only if you need to bump your FP up) are cheap and easy modes that help. then there is the WW2, bigger injectors, bigger HPOP, E fuel, Bigger turbo, intercooler and on and on. on the 140hp you will only see maybe 80hp, because of the small injectors we have.

good luck
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a boost guage and a pyro guage do u really think i should look into grtting the others and if i do are they difficult to hookup? and I really didn't no the othe stuff u were tAlkin bout except for the injectors but instead of the 6 position chip what should I get then?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you ha e the gauges, and you want a 6 position, get custom tunes. I would stop there for now. You've got a long road ahead of you and goin past that level will break something. Air and exhaust, gauges and tunes. I think you're doin ok. Save the bigger upgrades for down the road.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

I'll sound like a major bummer here, but it comes from experience...

If you're limited on budget and the truck is new-to-you, I would first run through the complete list of maintenance items. Previous owners are notorious for neglecting axle and transfercase fluids (and even transmissions sometimes) cooling systems, filters, ect. Pick up a repair manual and go through your truck thoroughly. This will do two things for you. It ensures a reliable truck that won't leave you stranded (and frustrated) and it allows you to become familiar with your vehicle through hands on experience.

You will find a solid tool collection is necessary before you can jump into modifying (or repairing) vehicle systems. Having the correct tools (and knowing how to use them) is the foundation for a smooth installation or repair and necessary for a quality install/repair.

Between complete maintenance upkeep and purchasing a tool collection will keep you financially busy for a while. Then comes the fun stuff!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_gofast View Post
I'll sound like a major bummer here, but it comes from experience...

If you're limited on budget and the truck is new-to-you, I would first run through the complete list of maintenance items. Previous owners are notorious for neglecting axle and transfercase fluids (and even transmissions sometimes) cooling systems, filters, ect. Pick up a repair manual and go through your truck thoroughly. This will do two things for you. It ensures a reliable truck that won't leave you stranded (and frustrated) and it allows you to become familiar with your vehicle through hands on experience.

You will find a solid tool collection is necessary before you can jump into modifying (or repairing) vehicle systems. Having the correct tools (and knowing how to use them) is the foundation for a smooth installation or repair and necessary for a quality install/repair.

Between complete maintenance upkeep and purchasing a tool collection will keep you financially busy for a while. Then comes the fun stuff!
You don't sound like a bummer at all. As a guy who has kids older than you, take this advice first, them read my post. Lol. I agree wholeheartedly with this bein the first priority.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

First off let me welcome you to the Diesel World. Diesel owners are a different breed. You'll find a lot of good, valuable information on this forum, so spend some time looking around and don't be afraid of asking questions.

As for what you should do, well, you're probably on a tighter budget than most of the people here so you need to be more wise on your spending. Honestly, I remember being in high school, and if I was today, I doubt I'd be able to pay for fuel while working the part time job I had. First thing's first. I'd say that you primarily want to ensure that the truck is going to run well, so you should be concerned with longevity. Change all of your filters and fluids. Don't worry about high-dollar items right now. For the price of a 6 position chip you can pay for all fluids and filters, a better investment of your hard-earned moolah. Unless you know for certain when all of the fluids were changed by the previous owner, it's safe to assume that they weren't done when they should have been, especially if the owner knew for a while that he was going to sell the truck. Only you can answer this question. Here's the fluids and filters I'd change:
Oil and filter
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Trans gear oil
Coolant system flush and new coolant with the proper (SCA) Supplemental Coolant Additive.
Ft and Rear Diff fluid
Power steering fluid
Transfer case fluid

Then, if you have the money I'd say go ahead and get a set of gauges first so you have a baseline of where the truck is running now, before the HP items.
We sell most of the fluids and filters you may need as well as very detailed gauge kits. Take a look at our site and shoot me an email if you have any questions. Good Luck and once again welcome.

Filters and Fluids: Fleetguard at DieselManor
Gauge Kits: DIESELMANOR GAUGE KITS for 1994-1997 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke
TS Performance 1180402 6-Position Chip for Ford 1995-2003 7.3L Powerstroke at DieselManor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.