Custom Tunes and the ZF-5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom Tunes and the ZF-5

Ok guys, Currently I am running an Edge Evolution in my truck, I always run the 40hp tow tune. I have played with the 80hp "extreme" tune from time to time but until I get my pyro installed and new clutch I play it safe.

My question is, for those of us who have a ZF-5 bolted up behind our motors is custom tuning really worth double the expense over a generic TS chip?

I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" but most of the things I read about the custom vs. TS tunes has to do with Transmission tuning for the E4OD. I really have no problem spending $500 on a TW or beans or Swamps chip but only if i can justify double the expense of the TS 6 position which retails between $240-$270.

I am already running an MBRP downpipe/straight 4in exhaust as well as an intake so the foundation is already in place. I will be installing Pyro, Boost and a yet to be determined third gauge (most likely HPOP or water temp) and a clutch before I install the chip. Mostly I am justlooking forward do ditching the Evolution. Although I cant complain since it came with the truck but we all know when it comes to 7.3's edge < everything else.

Im interested in hearing everybodys thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Okayy well custom tunes only apply if you have mods such as Injectors, turbo, or intercooler. You don't just get custom tunes on a stocker.

And as long as you have a 3"inch dp you don't have to be to worried about egts especially with that edge crap. I had an edge chip for a year or so and ran it on extreme the whole time. Never saw it go above 12.

Egts climb faster now that I have a 6pos so gauges is a good idea.

As far as a clutch goes. I have to 5 speeds and I run my 6pos on the highest tune all the time and I drive the piss out of these things. Haven't had a problem with the tranny or clutch yet.

Hence the fact you don't actually get 140 horse from the chip since stock injectors can only push so much fuel.

And as far as a clutch goes

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Gauges are good to have on a stocker as well. I could get the 94 with a 5-speed up to 1300F on the pyro consistently when towing with the 5th wheel over the Sierras. Cheers!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Gauges are good to have on a stocker as well. I could get the 94 with a 5-speed up to 1300F on the pyro consistently when towing with the 5th wheel over the Sierras. Cheers!
Prob with a stock down pipe. But yeah if your towing gauges are necessary

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM

The 1300F was with an open air intake (Tymar type, same filter), a 3" DP, gutted CAT, modified pedestal, and gutted EBPV. Cheers!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
short answer yes. but you can get the st and then get it reburned later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.