Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hybrid questions

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  terryknight 
#1 ·
So here's the scoop a buddy of mine owns a shop called sdp he does a bunch of wicked stuff for duramaxs and he's building my tranny with a stage 4 ppe now I need more power can you daily drive with hybrids?

#2 ·
yes, if they are tuned right

#3 ·
Ok cool I need to make up my mind now the tranny will be good for 850hp he claims and I want to make more power than my edge intake and exhaust make. I know I can make some ok power with a 7.3 I want it to at least be as fast as a tuned dmax but reliability with power on 7.3s can be messy with 190k... So a cummins would be in mind.... But I have a budget like most... If I didn't it'd be way nicer haha also can php put tunes on my current edge cs?

#4 ·
Replies in Red

Ok cool I need to make up my mind now the tranny will be good for 850hpsounds a little exaggerated to me he claims and I want to make more power than my edge intake and exhaust make. I know I can make some ok power with a 7.3 I want it to at least be as fast as a tuned dmax This is a lofty goal for a 7.3 you better have deep pockets to even get in the running you would be better off with a 6.0, or 6.4

but reliability with power on 7.3s can be messy with 190k..That mileage wouldnt concern me. So a cummins would be in mind.Good luck making a cummins run with a Dmax and the 7.3 is every bit as reliable as the cummins... But I have a budget like most... If I didn't it'd be way nicer haha also can php put tunes on my current edge cs?Im not sure they do this anymore because of the issues that they had with edge updates, but you will have to contact them.
im not trying to sound like a jerk, just pointing out the reality of things. just enjoy your truck and dont worry about runing with the newer trucks.

#7 ·
It is possible to break 500hp with a 7.3 but it takes big injectors big oil big turbos and a long list of supporting mods. And even then I'm not sure you could run an EFI live tuned Dmax. My guess would be somewhere in the $4000 range worth of mods. Now if that is your goal go for it, I just didn't want you to move forward without knowing what it would take.

#8 ·
Maybe someone who has actually done these mods will chime in, I only know what I have read.

#9 ·
you are looking at
Electric fuel
Intercooler
T500 or equal hpop
238/100 hybrids
larger than a D66 turbo
head studs would be a plus
valve springs
push rods
good custom tunes
and every little mod you can possibly do to a 7.3, but it will get you over 500 hp, but your pockets will be empty

#10 ·
Elmo... ^^ that list with 238 hybrids will put u over 500 rwhp.. they are tuning stage 2 160/100s to 450 now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.