cant decide which clutch!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cant decide which clutch!!

Im in the process of doing a zf5 swap in place of my e4od. I dont know which clutch to get. Horsepower or brand. My truck has stage 2 injectors d66 turbo elec fuel intercooler amd ts chip. I was thinking the southbend 500hp single disk. I also found a nice kit on Phoenix friction.. never beard of them though. Any help/input is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have a southbend when it goes i will go to their highest HP single disc. i have only recently heard of phoenix. don't know much about them. there is also luk and valair
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put a kennys pulling clutch in mine, cost 550$ for everything 3600# pressure plate, its a button clutch, holds my 30 pound boost launches no problems yet. I have almost the same mods as you but rosewood stage 2s in mine. They're located here in ky I lot of guys around here run them they're cheap and quality built.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm running a Valair. It's the stock HP clutch that has about 50k on it, about 10k of that is since I chipped it. It holds whatever I can throw at it in the top tune (I should be making 350 HP, never had it on a dyno), but doesn't like to get hot in a boosted launch.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if you have it built up you might need the double disk, but they are loud and hard to get in gear. it depends on what you use the truck for but i just swapped out the stock dual mass flywheel setup for the valair in mine. so far its not too bad. make sure to add an extra quart of tranny fluid for a single mass flywheel though if gear chatter will annoy you
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Im buying from kens pulling parts when mine starts goes. Apparently its tough if its holding 30psi launches lol, not sure how you are doing that, but I really want to know !
Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
Im buying from kens pulling parts when mine starts goes. Apparently its tough if its holding 30psi launches lol, not sure how you are doing that, but I really want to know !
Its simple hold the clutch in with the left foot hold the brake and go pedal with the other ease into the go pedal let out on the clutch do a John force Smokey burnout and when you dump the clutch watch the boost gauge, my clutch doesn't mind it yet my tires and stock charger are getting annoyed, and my wheel hop is getting old. Time for caltracs and a s366...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM

So your slipping the clutch to load the engine to build boost? Id say thats one tough clutch! Thats for the input ! even more excited to get one.

What are you running for injectors ect? I also need to upgrade turbo lol, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem yet, but I know it cants like 40psi
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
So your slipping the clutch to load the engine to build boost? Id say thats one tough clutch! Thats for the input ! even more excited to get one.

What are you running for injectors ect? I also need to upgrade turbo lol, it doesn't seem to be causing a problem yet, but I know it cants like 40psi
Ok mods: rosewood stage 2 160\100%, bdp efuel and electric return, mbrp 4" turbo back to 7" turnout stack, Ts TW tuned, srp 1.1, tymar intake, air compressor regulator in map line set to 22psi (my truck defuels at 34psi) can't figure that one out..., and I have a bullseye performance double batmowheel s366 waiting for my stock charger to blow. The single cab 5 speed and 3.55 gears make for some fun top end.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96slowerstroke View Post
Ok mods: rosewood stage 2 160\100%, bdp efuel and electric return, mbrp 4" turbo back to 7" turnout stack, Ts TW tuned, srp 1.1, tymar intake, air compressor regulator in map line set to 22psi (my truck defuels at 34psi) can't figure that one out..., and I have a bullseye performance double batmowheel s366 waiting for my stock charger to blow. The single cab 5 speed and 3.55 gears make for some fun top end.
Oh, awesome. You have the turbo? how much did that thing cost? I really need to look into a new turbo.

Im surprised your having boost issues, Thats a good idea though, put a regulator in the line to keep the turbo alive??..because its really hard to stay down to earth with the way my truck runs, boost climbs so fast past 35.

I have the same 3.55's 5 speed, with 35" tires. She turns a tad under 1500 @ 55 lol. That works out to a top speed of about 140 lol, havn't had the stones to try it yet, curious if it has enough power to though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.