Poor Fuel Milage upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poor Fuel Milage upgrade

My 1996 7.3 dually with 106K miles gets 8.2 MPG when towing my car trailer. I must do better. Love my truck and do not want to trade or sell. I'm told that an upgrade to Banks or equivalent 4" exhaust, a better air intake system and a "tuner" will bring the MPG to 12-15. I'm not sure what any of this is. Any help from you guys would sure be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

buickman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Poor Fuel Milage upgrade

Yep all of that should significantly increase mileage and power. The stock exhaust on an obs truck is very restrictive so changing it to a more free flowing one will do wonders. Same goes for the intake. Do some searching around and you'll find tons of info on the subject.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm looking as we speak. I wonder if there are specific references to good one's and bad one's. For example, I saw 10 different tuners offered - tough to know which one is the most reliable etc. Same for exhaust.
thanks for the help!!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 AM

Doesn't have to be a fancy brand name exhaust. Get an after market two piece downpipe (factory is squished almost flat, poor design) cut out your cat and muffler, build a diy intake using a piece of pvc and a 6631 filter, ts6 chip with tunes from TW, Beans, whoever...there are lots of guys writing good tunes.

Those few things and you will see a big improvement.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Poor Fuel Milage upgrade

Stay away from canned generic tunes (superchip, edge, bullydog, etc). Custom tunes with a switcher is best. Php, tw, dp, beans are all highly recommended.

For exhaust they're all pretty much the same. Just get one with a two piece downpipe. MUCH easier to install.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

My first upgrade was a full Banks setup. But like JJ said it is probably the most expensive way to go. I don't have a Dually but I was getting 24 MPGs unloaded and 15 with a three horse trailer with living quarters 12,000+lbs (your numbers will be a bit lower with the added rolling weight and tire/road friction). Loved every minute of the Banks system.........................until I wanted more.

If you think that this is all that you will need for years to come then I say spend the money on the Banks Power Pack system. It has everything from the full big exhaust (get the added muffler delete pipe, about $45) to the chip to the 1.0 turbine housing to the trans controller to the InterCooler. The air cleaner is junk. RiffRaff for that or make your own. I pulled for years with this system and never had a tranny issue till after I took it off.

IF, you are thinking more power then that buy it in pieces and buy more then you need. If you are looking at only Stage I injectors get Stage II's and tune them down. Same with most anything. Getting just enough WILL leave you wanting more. Just my

Last edited by BigFuel; 01-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman View Post
My 1996 7.3 dually with 106K miles gets 8.2 MPG when towing my car trailer. I must do better. Love my truck and do not want to trade or sell. I'm told that an upgrade to Banks or equivalent 4" exhaust, a better air intake system and a "tuner" will bring the MPG to 12-15. I'm not sure what any of this is. Any help from you guys would sure be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

buickman
aFe 49-03001 ATLAS Aluminized Steel Turbo-Back Exhaust System for Ford Diesel Trucks V8-7.3L : Amazon.com : Automotive aFe 49-03001 ATLAS Aluminized Steel Turbo-Back Exhaust System for Ford Diesel Trucks V8-7.3L : Amazon.com : Automotive

AFE exhaust is currently on sale at amazon $140 turbo back including downpipe.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's a steal, and only 1 left, wish I could order it for my dads truck now
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys are the best. I just ordered the exhaust from Amazon. It will arrive in mid to late February. Now for the air intake system. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 AM

You can spend big bucks on a brand name air intake like AFE (what I have cause I bought it before I learned more on here) or you can seriously just get a 6631 filter from NAPA or wherever and piece of PVC or whatever kind of piping you want for a fraction of the cost of brand name. Pretty much everyone here has a DIY intake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.