Stronger interals for 500hp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stronger interals for 500hp

hey guys, i got a 95 psd sitting in my shop that im thinkin of rebuilding and increasing the hp to put into my 95 f250. I would love to have atleast between 500 - 600 hp. Ive been been reading that the internals are rated for 500hp max. so what would i need for internals to hold up to about 600hp

most important question is, can this truck be a reliable DD, and tow 10,000lbs saftely with out blowing something up.

Truck has a 6'' lift with 37'' tires, d60 up front with the sterling in the back. has lockers front and back.

thanks for the help

Last edited by nightmare95; 12-30-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure the 95-97 PSD's have forged internals. I would think all you woukd need to upgrade would be valve springs and push rods. Like I said though, not 100% on that.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

With proper tuning, forged rods and stock bottom ends are living to 600+ HP. If you plan to go past that point, billet rods, girdle, main studs and a partial block fill would be a good investment. In either case head studs are a must. Same with valve springs.
To answer your second question, yes and no. You can have a 500hp 7.3. You can daily drive and tow 10k+ with said truck. But you can't do both at the same time. Building a truck and shooting for the 500hp mark in an extreme/race/pull tune, but then backing things down to 350 or so in a tow/daily driver tune is your best option. In all reality, driving a 500hp truck making 500hp on the street is a scary proposition. Every once in a while to put the hurt on a D-Max or ricer is fine, but a 500hp truck can/will scare the living sh*t out of you.
If it were me:
250/200 Injectors
SRP1.1 HPOP
H11 Head-studs
S467 Turbo
910 Comp Valve Springs
E-fuel (SD pumps, A1000, or other)
Quality tuning (Tony Wildman, Gearhead, PHP, and the list goes on)
Make sure you have the rest of your drive-line in order as well. BTS/JW transmission if an Auto, clutch/flywheel if manual. 500HP can also melt down your diffs if you aren't careful and tow heavy.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great list...I'd use ARP's and a modded H2e...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Stock forged rods are good to 500-550.

You can buy Aftermarket forged rods that are rated higher but are ALOT of $$$
http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDis...6-2f7ac2159bfc
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM

I was reading somewhere about the fire ring gasket kit? Would I need this and do I need my heads machined for them ?

Where can I find a good girdle kit online ?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Stock cured head gaskets with properly torqued studs will hold 70+ psi. By cured I mean having been run in a truck for a period of time. New head gaskets with studs will require a 'break-in' period of heat cycles, usually between 5-10k miles.
If you haven't lifted a head already, stud it and call it a day. If you plan on exceeding 70 psi of boost on a regular basis, then it is time to start considering fire rings.
Yes, there is machining of the heads and block required when installing fire rings. This is an expensive process. Be prepared for at least $2,000 for the rings, gaskets and machine work. Add another $550 to this for ARP head studs.
Here is a link to a main girdle and ARP main stud kit. Main studs are different than head studs, but both are required for a true high HP build.
Mikes Diesel Performance

For your goals/needs I would say both a fire-ring and girdle are overkill. They will require the engine to be removed from the truck, disassembled and extensive machine work done. As I said before, there are plenty of engines with completely stock bottom ends living at 500-600hp. If you are planning on exceeding 600hp, then it is time to start thinking about those things.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

i have spare 1995 7.3 engine sitting in my shop out of a parts truck. I am going to rebuild it and increase the hp then just swap it into my truck.. Considering that the engine is out and easy to work on. i would rather go the extra couple yards and have it built to last. instead of flying apart in a couple years down the road.

would 250cc hybrids and a modded h2e turbo with supporting mods put me over 600 hp?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 PM

250/200 will put you firmly in the 500hp bracket. You should be able to squeeze into the low 600's with a completely dialed in setup. There is a guy that made 611hp with 250/200's and a s467 at a local dyno event. I haven't looked at the compressor maps for an H2E enough to give you valid input on that specific turbo. Cary may be able to guide you better in that department, or if I get bored i will look for a comp map and cfm numbers.
Out of curiosity, have you ever driven a 600hp 7.3? What are you planning to do with this truck? Competition, tow pig, or just a daily driver?
Be prepared to spend an absolute minimum of $10,000 on this engine.
SRP 1.1 = $900
Mod H2E = $1,500
Turbo Mount = $1850
Competition Fuel System = $1500
Studs = $600
Injectors = $2550
Valve Springs = $85
This puts you at $8685 already. If you go further:
Girdle & main-studs = $750
Fire-rings & machine work = $2000
Crower/Carrillo/Hypermax Rods = $3000
Partial block fill = $500
If you're going this far, might as well do some custom bowl work and cryo treat the pistons = $3000
Might as well port & polish the heads = $2000-$4000
Miscelaneous machine work associated with girdle install, block fill, etc = $2000-$3000.
Now you have a motor that will live a long and happy life at 600hp. You're also into it for almost $24,000.
Adding power is an expensive game. You can reach 600hp cheaper, but it's up to you how much you want to spend.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM

best way to explain what i want to do is a weekend warrier / daily driver. i have another truck for towing. all i would tow is a 5000lbs sled trailer or the odd camper. 600hp seems alittle extreme for this i am coming to realize. im thinkin if i can put 500 hp to the ground i will be very happy and still put a beating on some of the new diesel trucks. still do my upgrades like valve springs, and studs.

would the 238cc injectors and a d66 or IDP T4 S366 turbo get me 500hp ?

bare with my lack of knowledge. your help is greatly appericated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.