Edge, superchip or custom? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Location: Sunshine Coast or Baja California...Depends on the temperatiure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge, superchip or custom?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I love the way my 96 F-250 runs and drives, but I just bought a travel trailer and noticed it really slows me down. I've put a couple superchips programs in some trucks before and noticed a really good improvement in power and think I might do something like that for my truck. After reading on here about the different tunes and chips it sounds like the superchip is pretty outdated, but I did like how it ran in the customers trucks I put it in. I also read the the edge is a tranny killer, but mine has the 5 spd. Finally, there is the custom tune chips, but I don't know if I really need something that special. All I want is to get my truck to be able to reliably pull the trailer with a bit more power without too much hassle. Any good ideas? The truck is pretty stock except for a bigger down pipe and exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
...kind of looks homeless

I would talk to Cary at CT Performance. He can get you Tony Wildman tunes for the same price as some of the superchips or edge products, if not cheaper. The tunes will be custom suited for YOUR truck and you'll have lifetime free reburns if you want to tweak the tuning to your liking. You can't go wrong with custom, especially if it's the same cost.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Custom tunes. TW all the way. Stay away from the off the shelf programmers
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would go for custom. I have heard lots of people like their custom, i have a superchips in mine and it helps, and the fact that i only paid $50 makes it nice. After using it, im glad i never paid top dollar for it.

I do like that i can use it for a scan tool and get my codes off, but there are cheaper ways of getting those as well.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Location: Sunshine Coast or Baja California...Depends on the temperatiure
I appreciate the tips, but I guess the real question is will the custom chip be that much better with everything else stock? I can see a custom chip being a good choice if the injectors, or turbo or any other variable being different, but with it all being stock how much better is it? Reason being, I would like to get one soon. Anything through the mail will takes a few weeks to get to me, but I could get an off the shelf tuner in a day or two.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The thing with custom tunes is it is tuned and designed exactly for your rig and what you wanna do with it. High idle is nice for the cold days, certain tow modes help alot with power but also keep the egts under control. and everyday econ tunes to maximize fuel economy.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_jacksondiesel View Post
I appreciate the tips, but I guess the real question is will the custom chip be that much better with everything else stock? I can see a custom chip being a good choice if the injectors, or turbo or any other variable being different, but with it all being stock how much better is it? Reason being, I would like to get one soon. Anything through the mail will takes a few weeks to get to me, but I could get an off the shelf tuner in a day or two.
depending on who you order tunes from they could be there in a couple days
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM

I had a edge evo on my old 2wd 5 speed diesel and it was pretty decent. Had a super chips on my current diesel (specs in sig) and just went to a 6 position custom tuned chip and it is night and day difference. Being able to switch settings on the fly is awesome.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Welp if it helps you any I have a edge programmer on my 96 f250 4x4 mines auto and it does add good power and torque but if it tells you anything I'm going for a tony wild man 6 position once I get the money but hey ill sell you my edge
Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM

i have a edge evo in my 94 which is a 5 spd all stock i think it works great really makes it scream smokes a little more than i would like it to. i am a firm believer in that if its tuned correctly you will only a have small amount of smoke until boost builds though. i will be getting custom tunes when i start upgrading injectors and all that stuff over the next year or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.