Need help deciding on injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help deciding on injectors

So today I pulled off my passenger side valve cover to test the injectors. My truck hasn't been running 100% and I had a feeling it was an injector and I was right. When I unplugged the number 8 injector nothing changed like it did when I unplugged the other 3. The funny thing is with the # 8 unplugged or plugged in idled the same (telling me it was bad) but that's how it's idled since I bought the truck over a year ago. I guess maybe it's been shot the whole time lol. It doesn't blow any white smoke which is weird but anyway, now that I know it's bad it time to upgrade injectors! I got a good deal on a set of good used injectors and I'm going to use them as cores. I can't decide what size injectors to go with or what company. My truck has a 3 1/2" down pipe, 4" straight pipe and 6" tip, tymar intake and Ts chip. Everything else is stock.

I was thinking about going with Rosewood stage 1.5's or 2's. I really want to go with 2's but I don't know how long it'll be before I can upgrade my turbo and hpop. I'm going to rebuild my turbo when I do the injectors bc I have to take it off to fix a oil leak on the pedestal. How long will a rebuilt stock turbo hold up if I drive it light footed most the time?

I was also considering Baby swamps since they offer a free reburn for my chip to match the injectors and they have a 5 year warranty.

The last choice is stage 1's from unlimited diesel performance because the price is about the same as the other and they come with a life time warranty.

I just don't want to regret buying stage 1's or 1.5's and wishing I bought stage 2's. If I had the extra money I would go with hybrids but that few extra hundred dollars is going towards the valve cover harness, glow plugs and the rebuild kit for the turbo.

I have to decide within the next couple days and I would like some input on what others think and how long the stock rebuilt turbo would last with stage 2's. How noticeable is the power between baby swamps and stage 1's and 1.5's? Thanks, sorry for the long post!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by Crewcab7.3; 01-01-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Oh yeah, I also have a intercooler installed, I just haven't ran the pipes yet. I'm going to put them in after I put the injectors in.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewcab7.3 View Post
So today I pulled off my passenger side valve cover to test the injectors. My truck hasn't been running 100% and I had a feeling it was an injector and I was right. When I unplugged the number 8 injector nothing changed like it did when I unplugged the other 3. The funny thing is with the # 8 unplugged or plugged in idled the same (telling me it was bad) but that's how it's idled since I bought the truck over a year ago. I guess maybe it's been shot the whole time lol. It doesn't blow any white smoke which is weird but anyway, now that I know it's bad it time to upgrade injectors! I got a good deal on a set of good used injectors and I'm going to use them as cores. I can't decide what size injectors to go with or what company. My truck has a 3 1/2" down pipe, 4" straight pipe and 6" tip, tymar intake and Ts chip. Everything else is stock.

I was thinking about going with Rosewood stage 1.5's or 2's. I really want to go with 2's but I don't know how long it'll be before I can upgrade my turbo and hpop. I'm going to rebuild my turbo when I do the injectors bc I have to take it off to fix a oil leak on the pedestal. How long will a rebuilt stock turbo hold up if I drive it light footed most the time?

I was also considering Baby swamps since they offer a free reburn for my chip to match the injectors and they have a 5 year warranty.

The last choice is stage 1's from full force diesel because the price is about the same as the other and they come with a life time warranty.

I just don't want to regret buying stage 1's or 1.5's and wishing I bought stage 2's. If I had the extra money I would go with hybrids but that few extra hundred dollars is going towards the valve cover harness, glow plugs and the rebuild kit for the turbo.

I have to decide within the next couple days and I would like some input on what others think and how long the stock rebuilt turbo would last with stage 2's. How noticeable is the power between baby swamps and stage 1's and 1.5's? Thanks, sorry for the long post!

First off I would decide if you want more then the ~350whp the stage 1's will allow for.

If you decide you might eventually upgrade your turbo then Id go with stage 2's (I did) Because you can just have them tuned down...when you get the turbo, crank it up.

Jim did my injectors just last week, Havn't got everything going yet, but I will let you know how it all works out.

If you light foot it, the stock turbo will hold up fine, when you start pushing past 35lbs of boost I think they give up the ghost faster. Full rebuild turbo should hold up fine if your tuning is turned down to stage 1 levels.

UNLESS YOU KNOW you wont want the extra power of the stage 2's get them. I feel like you will regret it if you dont, and considering they can be turned down its kind of a no brainer imo.

Hope I helped you decide stage 2 rosewood cough cough.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm really leaning toward the stage 2's. Right now with crappy wore out stock injectors and the ts chip I'm hitting 24 psi and that's with a leak on the up pipes so I was unsure about the turbo with stage 2's. I know I would want more if I went with stage 1's. I know of people who have been running stage 2's with just a edge tuner, intake and exhaust with everything else stock for a few years and haven't had any problems but I don't have good luck like that. My luck the turbo would explode on the test ride after the injector install.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Also, the rosewood stage 2's are 160/80% and the full force stage twos are 160/100% but they cost a couple hundred more. Would it be worth spending the extra money for the bigger nozzles and life time warranty? I really can't afford the extra couple hundred (just bought a ring for the ol lady) but if it's worth it I might be able to scrape some change.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM

No need for 100% over nozzle on a 160cc injector. You should have no issues emptying 160cc's of fuel in an acceptable pulse width. I've also heard some machining/tolerance issues with 100% nozzles, that don't apply to 80%'s.
My advice is always go larger than you need, and tune accordingly. If you see yourself maxing out a Stage I, go Stage II and de-tune until you have everything else up to snuff. If you see yourself maxing out 160/??'s, go 238/?? and de-tune. So on and so forth.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
a life time warranty is a pretty nice thing, and it will obviously go out again at some point, like 10 years from now lol, but i've never heard a single complaint or failure on rosewoods btw
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
a life time warranty is a pretty nice thing, and it will obviously go out again at some point, like 10 years from now lol, but i've never heard a single complaint or failure on rosewoods btw
Yeah, never could find anything going against jim...and I looked long and hard.

After talking to him and working with him on my situation. I feel that even outside the year....if it was obvious to Jim that it was his fault he would help you out....give you a good deal or something along those lines.

I have a lot of trust and respect for that guy. Ive wasted plenty of his time and all he wants to do is continue to help me

edit- Give him a call, talk to him on the phone for a few mins you you will know what I mean. He will also help you decide what injectors is right for you, and finalize it after we give input here.

Last edited by csdwarf11; 12-26-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
No need for 100% over nozzle on a 160cc injector. You should have no issues emptying 160cc's of fuel in an acceptable pulse width. I've also heard some machining/tolerance issues with 100% nozzles, that don't apply to 80%'s.
My advice is always go larger than you need, and tune accordingly. If you see yourself maxing out a Stage I, go Stage II and de-tune until you have everything else up to snuff. If you see yourself maxing out 160/??'s, go 238/?? and de-tune. So on and so forth.
Yeah that makes since, better to have extra for when you need it than to need it and not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
Yeah I've searched and read a lot of good feedback from rosewood but nothing negative. Since I've had my truck I've said I was going with rosewood when i buy injectors, but since the time has come, I figured I would check out other companies too and when i seen the lifetime warranty with unlimited diesel performance I was stuck on what to go with.

Last edited by Crewcab7.3; 01-01-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewcab7.3 View Post

Yeah I've searched and read a lot of good feedback from rosewood but nothing negative. Since I've had my truck I've said I was going with rosewood when i buy injectors, but since the time has come, I figured I would check out other companies too and when i seen the lifetime warranty with full force I was stuck on what to go with.

Well to me it looks like your decision is riding on warrantys. Something to think about for sure.

Ill be honest, my logic makes me think that the bigger warranty of full force would make it a better product. I couldn't convince myself that they could outdo jim though. I also have been talking to him about this, asking questions about all kinds of stuff for a while...the support sold me. He also got into the business for the love of the engine, building the injectors because he couldn't afford to send them out. I feel he understand the angle im coming from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.