intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intercooler

i hear you can use a 6.0 intercooler on the early 7.3 ? can you ust the tubing off of a late 7.3 to pipe it into the turbo im trying to do a intercooler on a buget of 200.00 to 300.00 i am open to segetions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM

there is no real gain between the 7.3 super duty intercooler and the 6.0 intercooler.
if you want to put a intercooler in the easiest way is to get all the parts from a early 99 super duty.
you will need the intake runners, intake manifold(spyder), intercooler pipes and the intercooler. its gonna cost you more than 300 most likely.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
there is no real gain between the 7.3 super duty intercooler and the 6.0 intercooler.
if you want to put a intercooler in the easiest way is to get all the parts from a early 99 super duty.
you will need the intake runners, intake manifold(spyder), intercooler pipes and the intercooler. its gonna cost you more than 300 most likely.
No need for the intake runners (plenums). OBS and E99 7.3's use the same 2" plenums. L99 changed to a 3" plenum.
No pipes, regardless of year are going to be a direct drop in to intercool an OBS truck. You can use an E99 intake spider and 7.3 intercooler, but the tubing is still going to need to be cut/welded to fit. Get whatever pipes are the cheapest, and modify them to work. There is also a guy who will fabricate a set of pipes for you, based around the E99 spider and either a 6.oh or 7.3 intercooler for $200 shipped to your door. I can post his email if interested.
You can use a 6.oh intercooler or 7.3 in the OBS, doesn't really matter. 6.oh is a slightly more efficient cooler than the 7.3, with the drawback being it has plastic end caps. If you are running big boost numbers this is a no-go.
You are going to be hard pressed to put an intercooler together for $300.
E99 Spider : $100-$150
Tubing : $100-$200 (depending if you modify it yourself, or buy it as a kit)
Intercooler: $150-$300 (depending on condition. Find one locally, shipping an intercooler aint cheap)
Boots & clamps: $50-$150
Even if you pay bottom dollar for all your components you're still looking at $400. I'd say $550 or so is the average.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Thanks my uncle does exaust work he might be able to fashion me some pipes as for the 6.0 intercooler would it be ok if i ran a d66 turbo with it also when you say e99 do you mean a van inter cooler or just pre99.5
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM

If he does exhaust work, and has access to a pipe bender then you can save some money going with a full custom system. All you would need to find is a intercooler (either 7.3 or 6.0) and build the tubing to work.
E99 is an "early 1999". Ford made changes to the truck halfway through the model year. E99's have the smaller 2" intake plenums, which is why their intake spiders are desirable for OBS conversions.
Vans did not come intercooled.
You will be fine running a D66 with a 6.0 intercooler. If you get up above 45 psi regularly you may want to consider one with metal end tanks.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 PM

i knew i was forgetting something. thanks for correcting me lol
Old 12-22-2012, 01:49 PM

No worries.
You SD guys have it easy. Intercooled and E-fuel from the factory make's everything easier when it comes time to upgrade!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the clamps are like $5 each at napa, the pipes i got from terry, but yes they are usually $200 for the set, IC is as cheap as you can find it, and the spyder is tough, but possible, i got hooked up on my whole set up tho
Old 12-22-2012, 04:20 PM

if your handy you can make the spider and pipes like this guy did
6.0L intercooler install in '92-'96 body
Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i uaed a 6.0 cooler on mine, came out great, but that design is awesome there too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.