A few questions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A few questions?

First off- I just picked up a stock turbo with supposedly 30,000-40,000 miles on it with no side to side play in the shaft for 150$ did I get a good deal? The reason that I went with that was due to the fact that I am going to spend my tax returns on stage one sticks, so I will put in the injectors and a fresh turbo and should be all set there. That is where my question lies, would it be more advantages to get the parts around for E-Fuel or try and get the parts around for and Inter-cooler? Will I need to upgrade my HPOP to be sure I do not harm the new Injectors.

Secondly- currently when I drive around I don't create much boost unless I am really on the pedal is this normal? I road in my buddies Cummins and he was making boost all the time. Could this have to do with my stock turbo being at 217,xxx miles?

Is there anything I can do or should do to the stock turbo to make it more efficient before it goes on the truck? I do have access to a machine shop if that helps out.

Also would soldering in the IDM mod help me out at all? I read on the write up that some claim it gained them 30hp? But now for the life of me I cant find that exact write up.

Thanks for reading and the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
stock turbo is fine for stage ones, and mine has good response and boost but stock 120 cc split shots, i dont have e feul yet but while towing and with my custom tunes and my 6.0 intercooler it is by far the best thing ever on my truck, if you wanna go e fuel or ic question is how much do you tow, and how often, kause an ic would keep it cooler while hauling, but the e fuel would keep your fuel up and sticks pumping, good luck with either way
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

If that person gained 30 horsepower with the mod more then likely his IDM was weak and all he did was gain back HP that was lost. Here is a competent write-up for the IDM mod.

IDM Mod 140 volt - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well i hardly tow and if i do its only a single axle enclosed motorcycle trailer with a few dirt bikes in it so hardly nothing.

Quote:
If that person gained 30 horsepower with the mod more then likely his IDM was weak and all he did was gain back HP that was lost. Here is a competent write-up for the IDM mod.
Will i see a difference in doing this or is it just something to do? I am pretty good at soldering electronics so I don't think i will have an issue.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
from what i have heard it gives better response and pick up but not much to say hp wise
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM

Like Kris said, it will clean up some of the bad manners of the engine. It'll smooth out idle, crisper throttle response, better acceleration, stuff like that. It is a worthy mod.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok thanks for answering that i will be doing that in the next few weeks. what about the turbo for 150$ did i get a good deal or did i get ripped. The reason i bit the bullet on it was so i could rebuild it and have a fresh one ready to go when i put in the new sticks.

with out me towing very often at all it sounds like E fuel is the way to go. and then i will try and establish wahat kind of condition my HPOP is in. I am going to get TW tunes from CT preformance for myself for christmas, so that should help.

I hope my trans can take Stage ones custom tunes and a new fresh turbo.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Turbo by itself or with the pedestal? $150 doesn't sound bad to me, score if it has a pedestal. Rebuild kits are all over the net (Beans, Irate, Dfuser, RiffRaff). Either way on the pedestal look up how to gut the EBPV and solenoid. For the Trans if it's healthy you can probably get away with just a performance valve body.

On the IDM, I wonder if the threads you saw were talking about this. This is all proprietary stuff, not just you working on a workbench. But it does make horsepower by itself.

High voltage/high frequency Injection Driver Module - Swamp's Diesel Performance

Last edited by BigFuel; 12-04-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just the turbo by itself. and i am not sure if they were talking about a bolt on mod idm but it doesn't matter i am going to mod mine out and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What is the advantage of gutting the EBPV as opposed to just unplugging it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.