3'' downpipe removal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3'' downpipe removal?

OK guys lets see if you can help me out here im working on my buddy's 97 OBS 7.3 i put the new 3'' down-pipe in and well i didn't clearance the firewall just enough and well in the cab feels like your sitting in a vibrator lol its bad. well its a 2 peice and its clamped so no taking it apart. it looks like i can get it out but would have to remove the passenger exhaust up pipe.... anyone had to take one of the new 3'' down-pipes out before please chime in. i have thought about a tiny body lift he siad no ive tried sticking a pry bar in there just no room any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM
BANNED by Kris

Mines a two piece and clamped. Anytime I need to pull it I just heat the outer one a little. Do you have anything that breathes fire?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

It can be an absolute pain if you don't use a band clamp. I got the one out of our work truck some how by twisting it perfectly and it came out the bottom. Once I got it out it was still a pain to get it apart. Next time you should use a band clamp, no squishing that way, or that's the way I would do it anyway. Using heat is a good idea, never thought about that, just as long as it is just the expanded part.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok well after posting i went back out and messed with it a little more the clamp i tighted it and it never crunched the pipe..cheap POS they send with it. but heres my other thing ive got a little propane tourch i can get up in there to heat it up a bit. theres no way the things will come out in one piece at least not on this truck lol. but ill try heating it up and twisting and pulling on it. i just dont wanna bend up the flange on the turbo. its wierd the clamp is all the way tight and still moves around i tried loosening the down pipe at the turbo and using a bar to move the pipe away from the firewall and tightin it but as soon as you pull the bar the pipe slides right back. so somehow im gonnah ave to figure out how to get it out. on my own truck it has the 3'' downpipe and rubs and in the cab you hear the vibration but if you pull up on a curb to twist the fram a bit it gets so quiet in the cab like the truck isnt running
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

I just put exhaust on a truck and it was fine at first, but it must had moved a little and started doing just what you are describing, we ended up having to really push the pinch weld way in and the flange on the turbo had to be like perfect. It wasn't the same as the other couple kits I put in, this one was odd though, seems like the flange was a tad bit smaller than the others, all three were Diamond Eye kits too. Make sure the downpipe isn't rubbing on the up pipe either.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I can see the up pipe and there's about 1/2" of room there just the firewall that's touching. So tomarrow If its not pouring rain I'm going to try to mess with it more
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've also noticed that every trucks is a little different on how the pipes fit
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

hearing stuff like this makes me want to do a DP back and call it a day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.