Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

what to do with a stock powerstroke?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Lostbuckaroo 
#1 ·
Hello, I need some advice. First off, I'm not new to ford diesels. I've owned every configuration from an 83 with a 6.9 to an 03 with a 6.0. All standard transmission. Now I've gone back to a 7.3. 96 1 ton crew cab 4x4 265,000 miles and its bone stock. I need to address a few issues. First, I've never owned a pickup with an automatic granny until now.this one seems to short shift(shifts way too early) and acts like there is no kick down. Second. I want more power. This pickup is a daily driver/work horse and I tow my horse trailer with it. I don't drag race and really not interested in buying big injectors or getting 500 horse. I just want some advice on making some additional SAFE AND RELIABLE horsepower. I've noticed a good sized crack in the top of the stock air box(behind the filter) so that is job one. I've always been told afe has the best intake system. Its what I had on my 97, but I've read here about the 6637. Is it better or just cheaper? I'm really considering ordering the tymar kit.( for those of you who are gonna tell me to build it myself for 45 bucks I don't have the time or patience I just want to order a bolt on kit). I've got a 4"exhaust kit ordered with down pipe. I'm thinking a 6 position chip from beans. Good? Is it a ts with beans name on it? Maybe a quick spool housing? Is like to do an inter cooler too, but that will be a while. Any thoughts? What else should I consider? Btw I'm running 4.10 gears I do not want to change them, but I'm only getting 14 MPG and would like to improve.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you don't want the diy version then yes a tymar kit is the way to go. Then 3" downpipe, and the 4" exhaust you mentioned. Gauges for pyro/boost/trans temp. Then I would get a BTS valvebody, 4r100 pan, 3/8" super duty lines, and the tru-cool 40k trans cooler to help keep your tranny alive. Then get a chip from PHP or Beans with tunes to support the valvebody. That should wake her up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
I appreciate the help. As far as the intake goes I've been doing a little reading.... should I buy the tymar kit then replace the filter with afe big boost? The afe kit looks like it would help bring in cooler air than the tymar(because its partially enclosed) which makes sense to me, but I'm no mechanic either. Does it make any difference or not?

#5 ·
If you plan on intercooling the truck it does not matter what air you are picking up, as the ic will cool it anyway. Even without an IC it does not make that big of a difference.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
OK I'm ordering the tymar. Gonna put the afe filter on it and wrap it with a pre filter from riffraff.(I'm paranoid ; I dusted my 97 at 190,000 because of a k&n.... I didn't know any better!) Gonna get a Beans 6 position and their quick spool.thank you for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.