upgrade list questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
upgrade list questions

i have 1996 f250 with 250,000 miles on it. it is now bone stock. even the intake and exhaust down pipe. i have looked at several pages. some had the info i am looking for and some hasnt. just want to make sure my money is spent well.

this what i have so far sitting the house awaiting to be put on the truck

MBRP 4" Turbo Back Aluminized
Turbo Intake Boot
Turbo Intake Y Boot Kit
Borg Warner Anti-Surge Compressor Wheel
Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11
Stainless Steel High Pressure Crossover line
6637 filter

these are the things that i am looking at.

Derale Transmission Pan Coolers 169.21
Derale 20,500 GVW Transmission Oil Cooler. 93.91
Garrett TP38 High Flow Outlet 94.5-97. 94.80
Banks Quick-Spool Turbo Housing. 413.03
Garrett TP-38 Blank/Deleted Pedestal. 148.66
Bosch Electric Fuel Pump. 146.65
Terminator T500 HPOP. 449.00
HPOP Line Kit 94.5-97. 178.13
used ic from e99 with spyder, pipes, and cooler
with plastic ends. 150.00
PureFlow AirDog II Air/Fuel Separation System 662.00
of course train horns. just dont know what kind
and what is a good price.

auto meter Cobalt Digital digital gauges

Turbo Boost 60 PSI. 158.99
Pyrometer 2000*F. 148.13
Transmission Temp. 97.51
Water Temp. 103.19
Voltmeter. 89.87
Oil Pressure 100 PSI. 109.50
Oil Temperature 0-340*F. 99.19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

the anti surge compressor wheel isnt needed as it is what u have in that turbo stock, but it doesnt hurt to freshen it up.

some of your list is a route that could be better spent else where..here is what I would do

-4r100 trans pan with drain plug --- rock auto $30
-tru cool maxx 40,000lb trans cooler --- $130.00 http://www.dieselsite.com/specialord...ioncooler.aspx
-electric fuel upgrade... not an airdog, or fass...DIY with regulated return --- $400-600Electric Fuel on OBS Trucks
-intercooler with METAL endcaps, intake spider form a e-99 with custom pipes, the stock e-99 pipes will not work without cutting and welding
-if u never plan on upgrading injectors do a 1.0 housing for qhick spool --- $15594-97 Power Stroke 1.0 Quick Spool Turbo Housing

good on hpop, lines may not be necessary but cant hurt.

a deleted pedistal and exhaust housing isnt a bad idea, i have both i can sell u for $100 off an international engine.

GAUGES are a MUST, but looks like you go that covered, where are u gonna put them all?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 AM

actually i opened up the air cleaner box to see what filter looked liked. the i made my way to the turbo. the metal pipe had oil and dirt. so i wanted to see the compressor wheel. that is when that boot tore on me. i looked at it and the compressor wheel was damaged bad. one of the fins was bent.
i do want to upgrade the injectors. well one day when money is right. i just dont know stage 1 or 2. i want to keep the good fuel mileage that i have now. i get about 17 around town and right at 20 on the hwy.
you said not on the air dog. you didnt say anything on the fuel pump. i know i do need one but dont know if that is a good price on it.
as far as the gauges. i was going to custom build something that would go from the console to the dash. the top would angle toward me to some degree. i was going to put four to a line across. at the bottom would be some toggle switches for the few lights.
what gains would i see on the deleted pedistal and exhaust housing.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:03 AM

oh yeah when it comes to a used fuel pump does it matter if it is a e99 or late 99. i have found a 99 350 wrecked in the front. he wants 400 for the tranny and 10 for the fuel pump. would that tranny work in mine. unbolt out the old and then bolt in the new.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the trans is a 4r100 it would only work with a different trans commander since you have an e4od, as far as fuel pumps, the stocker in the 350 would work fine, and for you IC set up the pipes wont work, e99 or L99, neither work you need custom pipes regardless, but just look up DIY kits on the forums for the obs e-fuel set ups, save some money

you list looks extensive and well thought tho, and as far as the ic having plastic or metal ends makes no difference imho, i have a 6.0 with plastic ends and holds over 30 psi fine.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 AM

i have read on the ic setups. you would need the e99 spyder and a cooler. they said it didnt matter on what year cooler. then talk to this man that would do the custom pipes for 200. i just didnt know paying 150 for the spyder and cooler is worth that much. some say by doing the intercooler would cause a lag in the turbo. they also say that your fuel mileage would go down. some say that it would be a huge improvement. so i dont know. what i am looking to have is performance gains and fuel mileage gains. plus something that would help the truck run better and longer. i want something to have fun without going too insane with it. i know the truck will not be fast. i dont need it too cause i have a 04 mustang gt for that. just a good solid truck. as far as the efuel. i do believe it do so much better for the truck. i have read and re read the forums on the efuel. since i have been a member on here, i have read hundreds of different threads. trying to figure out the best route to go with this. i always believe do it right the first time and be done with it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

read over that e-fuel thread i posted to get an idea on what to use.. i would use a stock SD pump if your not going over stage 2s. a bosch 044 pump is a good pump but requires in tank modifications and upgrades fuel lines, u can get new SD pumps for $150

$150 bucks for a E99 spider and cooler is a screaming deal! the spiders go for that. there are getting rarer and rarer

the r4100 will fin in your truck with modifications but to really no benefit with the modifications needed to do so with different size cooler lines, different placement on sensors,and wiring differances.

adding a intercooler u will see no performance upgrade as of now. it will cause turbo lag and a drop in fuel milage. BUT if and when u upgrade injectors it will allow u to get full potential out of the injectors without the tunner holding back on fuel to keep EGTs down. if u tow at all a intercooler will help with towing to keep temps down.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM

ok as of now i got the old down pipe out. what pain in the rear. let me tell ya i want to find person responseable for that and see how far my foot would go up there. so i see get the 10 dollar pump off the 99 350. i dont know know if that one is a e99 or not. leave that trans alone. i have heard it was an upgrade that is why i considered it. since one day i am looking at upgrading the injectors. leave out the quick spool housing. on the trans just get the pan off of it.

what gains could come from the pedistal delete and Garrett TP38 High Flow Outlet. is it worth looking into.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

no performance gains, just removing a possible oil leak that will leak if it isn't already. also removes the exhaust back pressure valve. some claim a drop in EGTs from removing it but no real data to show

also the r4100 isn't really an upgrade.... when doing rebuild guys will make hybrid transmissions with parts form each as some are stronger in the e4od and some are stronger in the r4100.. but diffiently get that trans pan with the drain plug
Old 11-22-2012, 09:06 PM

ok here is a new list.

4r100 trans pan with drain plug
tru cool maxx 40,000lb trans cooler
Terminator T500 HPOP.
used ic from e99 with spyder, pipes, and cooler
with plastic ends.
deleted pedistal and exhaust housing that is how do i get the money to ya ol_blue97
the fuel pump off the 99 350. what else can i grab of the 99. i am thinking of going this weekend to get the stuff before it is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.