1997 PSD Daily Driver and Towing mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 PSD Daily Driver and Towing mods

Im not new to diesels but i am new to the powerstroke and new to looking at mods. I have a 1993 F-250, 1994 F-250 and a 2006 F-350 6.0. All of those are farm trucks. I just added a 1997 PSD crew cab, short bed, 4x4, auto.

This is the first truck i have considered doing some work to. Im looking to do upgrades that are comfortable for still being a daily driver but also want to tow 25K+ loads every now and then.

I didnt really want the automatic, but ive spent the past 5 years looking for this truck and couldn't help but buy it even with.

It has 227000 miles, less than 25K on a rebuilt tranny,

My biggest concern is the tranny. What can/should i do to protect it before anything else.

Ive already got a tymar intake in. Next is a new downpipe and exhaust. Ive spent alot of time reading before i posted so id have any idea on some of the suggestions. Lots of ideas but not sure where to start and what to continue with to make everything work well together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BTS is the best out there with an unlimited warranty, but since you only have 25K look in to #1 trans temp gauge - heat is emeny number 1, #2 a bigger cooler - heat is enemy number 1, #3 upgrade VB, #4 upgraded TC, #5 regear it
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok Cool. Any suggestions as to where to look for these upgrades. Whats it take to regear it?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what gears doe sit have? unless you have any experience swapping gears it would be best to get a professional to regear. gear sets range from $190-330 installation i would guess runs another $500 ish.

i don't know much about the autos. i would think any of the vendors here could help you out. the trans temp and the cooler you can get on ebay
Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
BTS hands down, but have heard great things about john woods, but valve body, torque converter, trans cooler, and deeper pan (4r100 stock one) mag tec and what not are good ones, but whats your stock gear ratio? i have 4.10 and as per the owners manual am capable of 20k gvcwr, mite wanna check if you have overloads, add air bags, and a few other things before 25k is behind you

i have a ccsb f250 4x4 like yours btw, just have mods done so far lol
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok sounds good, ill try to get some pics of it up. 25K might have been a little high. We have a 24 cattle trailer that can haul 11 cows so with trailer it wouldnt quite push 20K, but as ive got to thinking, i think im going to try to hold this pickup off from hauling anything if i can help it. Ive got three others that we can use. I would really like to keep this one in good shape and a daily driver. I love the OBS trucks. I don't need to spend 40,000 on a newer truck. All the extra ponies are nice in the newer trucks but everything else is just extra i dont need. I know i would have to drop a ton of money to get their power but want to try.

Im considering getting another 7.3 and rebuilding it from the ground up to try and get over 500hp into the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.