Clutch 97 zf5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch 97 zf5

Hey guys, when I bought my truck i was told it had a new single mass clutch put in it, I swear i remeber him saying south bend, any way i can tell, besides dropping the tranny, if that will even tell me.

reason i care now is because i just got stage 2's and I need to figure out what I have for a clutch for future upgrades, if needed.

what will a south bend clutch hold for power? I understand they have different power levels and I have to assume he ordered stock power, but then again im not sure because the price differences are not huge.

Not sure what I will be making for power after the injectors, but I have e-fuel, exhaust and intake(so I will be turned down till hpop and turbo upgrades)
, hoping I don't smoke my clutch right away.

guess Im trying to figure it all out.

thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can look at their site but if i remember right they had stock 350hp con o, 450 hp con oe, and 500 (or 550 ) hp con ofe which i don't think they make anymore

then they have the dual disc clutches up to 700+ hp

i have the lower one 350 and so far iit has held everything i have thrown at it (mods in sig), but like you i have had tony tune down my 2s at least till i get my d66 on there. then i guess we will find out about the clutch
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM

wow, your sig is pretty close to what im going to have when the injectors finish being built ect.

Hows she go? comparison to tune with e fuel.

not a lot of people have a 5 speed, and even less with the same mods im going for.

my first gear is pretty useless( i even have 3:55s lol), what about you? I think im getting tw tunes aswell, can you keep the smoke down with the stock turbo

Last edited by csdwarf11; 10-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
the baconator

i did hpop and e fuel it helped, but then i did injectors and intercooler and it really woke up so to speak. it will move as it is once you get the boost up. i am scared of using the full potential of the 2s with the stock charger. the stock charger keeps up so long as i am careful boost never really gets up there unless i hammer it. smoke the same. however if i bury my foot i'll black out he street quickly. don't like that. tw has done great except for the throttle is very touchy in extreme. i use first all the time don't like the stuttering lugging of 2nd.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM

huh, weird I wonder if our transmissions have the same gearing, because I ave 3:55's and 35's and my truck will only do about 20 in first, second i don't even have to slip the clutch, just release it a bit slower then normal and it takes off barely phasing the engine.

my friend has an idi that stutters like you mentioned, not sure why but mine is pretty smooth on takeoff in second

when changing your injectors, how did you go about draining the oil? im thinking siphon it out of the HPOP res, and pull the back injector first, and dain it out of there.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
huh, weird I wonder if our transmissions have the same gearing, because I ave 3:55's and 35's and my truck will only do about 20 in first, second i don't even have to slip the clutch, just release it a bit slower then normal and it takes off barely phasing the engine.

my friend has an idi that stutters like you mentioned, not sure why but mine is pretty smooth on takeoff in second

when changing your injectors, how did you go about draining the oil? im thinking siphon it out of the HPOP res, and pull the back injector first, and dain it out of there.
i have 4.10s by the time the truck is moving and i'm almost off the clutch i'm shifting to second

i pulled the plugs from he oil rails waited 30 mins then drained the hpop and then started pulling injectors. i tried with the rearmost first but ran into a problem on the passenger side with the vacuum reservoir.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
i have 4.10s by the time the truck is moving and i'm almost off the clutch i'm shifting to second

i pulled the plugs from he oil rails waited 30 mins then drained the hpop and then started pulling injectors. i tried with the rearmost first but ran into a problem on the passenger side with the vacuum reservoir.
oh, alright that sound about right, at low speeds i don''t think the gearing would make that big of a difference, and if I use 1st ( steep hills) i use it just to get the truck rolling, maybe up to 1200rpm and then right into second, its not worth reving it out lol.

probably a good idea to use 1st, probably saves the clutch, but my syncros in second are a little sketchy, so its a bit more of a task to grab second quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.