straight pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
straight pipe

Hey guys, something cool happened today, but it turned out pissing me off a bit...ever sense ive owned my truck it has had the 4" diamond eye exhaust, and I know what my truck sounds like, all of a sudden I hit a bump and next time I hit the throttle my turbo is screaming, loud and sounded great, I figured I lost a boost line or something, wasn't sure. I pulled over and it ended up being the bolts holding the downpipe to the intermediate pipe came out. So for the first time I experienced my truck straight piped, and its AWESOME. My muffler does NOTHING, the truck was not louder one bit, but the turbo was so much more audiable.

Wanting to straight pipe my truck now, I cruised on down to lowes and got some stove pipe and flex pipe. Tonight I figured I would have a fun little project, pull my muffler out and throw in a straight pipe.

Long story short, the muffler will not come out, exhaust has almost zero rust, but the clamps were so tight they bent the two pipes together and I cant get them apart. An hour later with a torch a few big hammers, and other tools I got no where, I lost ground big time.

Ended up with a bunch of unnecessary dents in my muffler, a few in the piping and in general it just looks much worse, I broke two of the exhaust clamps off(i will get new ones tomorrow) wired the exhaust up and headed home

but how is everyone else getting these off? I dont want to destroy the muffler, because its not worth it, but I want a straight pipe...(need to have the muffler for yearly inspection)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

cut it off, leave room when you cut to reattach the muffler and cat. Run a straight pipe.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Sawzall Hero
Attached Thumbnails
straight pipe-sawzall-hero.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM

hell yea sawzall that sucker off.
thats how i got my old up-pipes off lol
although it is nerve-racking cutting parts of my truck off haha

straight pipe sounds awesome!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdwarf11 View Post
Hey guys, something cool happened today, but it turned out pissing me off a bit...ever sense ive owned my truck it has had the 4" diamond eye exhaust, and I know what my truck sounds like, all of a sudden I hit a bump and next time I hit the throttle my turbo is screaming, loud and sounded great, I figured I lost a boost line or something, wasn't sure. I pulled over and it ended up being the bolts holding the downpipe to the intermediate pipe came out. So for the first time I experienced my truck straight piped, and its AWESOME. My muffler does NOTHING, the truck was not louder one bit, but the turbo was so much more audiable.
Why do you think me and 90% of the other people on this forum shake our heads when we see people insisting on using back-pressure inducing mufflers? They dont do **** besides keep turbo noise down on diesels (this goes for cats also). the turbo does a great job at muffling.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM

With the diamond eye they are not slotted so what I've done to get mine apart is get pipe turned 180 so the indents from the clamps aren't lined up. Wd 40 and a hammer on an old clamp got mine off. Once I got it off I slotted them so they would come off better if I decide to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdl409 View Post
With the diamond eye they are not slotted so what I've done to get mine apart is get pipe turned 180 so the indents from the clamps aren't lined up. Wd 40 and a hammer on an old clamp got mine off. Once I got it off I slotted them so they would come off better if I decide to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
I did attemp that, I pryed mine apart so the tabs on the exhaust pipe were very bent away, and still didn't have any luck turning it, tried a bunch of things inducing an oxy acetylene torch to the point of just about melting and almost breaking a 2 inch strap wrench and denting my exhaust and bending a exhaust clamp with the strap wrench.

I think that I will have to cut it and weld in some pipe...not a big deal IF!!!!!

my truck will pass inspection straight piped, that's fairly important because i wont be able to weld it if I have to swap it every year, I will have to figure something else out.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Sawzall the exhaust pipe about 6 inches to either side of the muffler.
Assuming you have a 4" exhaust pipe, use a section of 4" O.D. pipe to fill this section.
Buy another section of 4" O.D. pipe, cut it into 3-4" lengths, and 4 exhaust clamps. When it comes time to re-install the muffler for inspection, remove the "muffler delete pipe" and re-install the muffler using the two small sections of 4" O.D. pipe as "shims".
Basically slide the 2 sections of 4" O.D. into your exhaust and then pursuade the muffler section onto these sections. You might have to remove a couple hangers to do this. Use exhaust clamps on either side of both cuts to put compression on the pipe and prevent leaks.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM

awesome idea, probably what i will end up doing.

just went and checked, it will work perfect except I only have appox 4 inches before the pipe sharply turns up to go over the rear axle, so I will have to cut it a little shorter then I would like there.

should work fine though.

any other suggestions welcome/wanted
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Diesel Freak

How about using exhaust flanges? Make sure youre straight pipe piece and your muffler are the same length it would take some welding but easy quick changeouts of your muffler or straight pipe I'm thinking about going this route because I don't always want my aeroturbine I may want to blast some hot noise for a change haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.