Engine Building Questions; Internals - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Building Questions; Internals

I recently installed Full Force 238/100 Stage 3 hybrid injectors into my truck. I also found out that this are no joke when it comes to power. I want the internals of my truck to stay together without issues. My questions I have are about the valve springs and push rods. I already plan on head studs.

1. Am I fine with getting away with just Comp 910 springs?
2. Do I need to install shims and if so, how do you measure properly to insure the right shim? I dont want to just say "the .030 should be good".
3. Do I need push rods and if so whos do you perfer?

The truck is a daily driver and a toy hauler but used for fun as well like most people. Ive hit 45 psi of boost already and let off, had more in it, fearing the damage I could cause with running stock internals. Im not building a race motor by no means just a fun daily driver. I running a H2E turbo so I feel good about that. I don't plan on making a huge power Id be happy with 450-500 tops. I getting it detuned for now to keep it together. Any other input would be great. Also I dont plan on breaking the bank and buying all H11 stuff, just looking for "reasonably priced" parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadahootchie View Post
I recently installed Full Force 238/100 Stage 3 hybrid injectors into my truck. I also found out that this are no joke when it comes to power. I want the internals of my truck to stay together without issues. My questions I have are about the valve springs and push rods. I already plan on head studs.

1. Am I fine with getting away with just Comp 910 springs?
2. Do I need to install shims and if so, how do you measure properly to insure the right shim? I dont want to just say "the .030 should be good".
3. Do I need push rods and if so whos do you perfer?

The truck is a daily driver and a toy hauler but used for fun as well like most people. Ive hit 45 psi of boost already and let off, had more in it, fearing the damage I could cause with running stock internals. Im not building a race motor by no means just a fun daily driver. I running a H2E turbo so I feel good about that. I don't plan on making a huge power Id be happy with 450-500 tops. I getting it detuned for now to keep it together. Any other input would be great. Also I dont plan on breaking the bank and buying all H11 stuff, just looking for "reasonably priced" parts.
You need to do a fuel system, if you haven['t already. No sense tearing up brand new injectors.

Do head studs and valve springs.

You'll use a valve micrometer to shim the springs back to stock specs.

Super easy to do, so don't let it intimidate you.

Basically, remove the spring, install the mic in it's place, and see what the height works out to be. Install shims to make up the difference.

Swamps has a shim kit, and they might even be able to point you toward a good place to pick up the mic.

I'd skip the pushrods, if it was my engine. Nice strong pushrods won't bend, that's true... But, when you reach a situation that would normally bend a pushrod, it breaks the rocker arm. Usually when that much force builds and a rocker arm breaks, the cam throws the lifter out of the retainer...

So, I do not recommend upgraded pushrods with stock rocker arms.

Stock pushrods aren't expensive either.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes a fuel system is in the works, even if it is just a superduty pump for now. I'd rather get the insides strong enough before.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned

SUPER pumped to hear about your build... keep us posted and post pics and videos!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Thanks man. Ill keep updates as I go along. Insurance just came in so money kinda tight for upgrades right now. Getting my traction bars mounted hopefully next week.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM

He's a pic of what 45 psi does lol
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Building Questions; Internals-image.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadahootchie View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes a fuel system is in the works, even if it is just a superduty pump for now. I'd rather get the insides strong enough before.
A fuel system isn't only for performance, it saves your expensive injectors from running out of fuel and grenading.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

yep 45psi is a LOT of pressure

Looks like you need a 6637 intake.....
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 PM

I got an aem dry filter.

I understand the importance of a fuel system. I slowly making improvements as time goes on. I'm running the tunning on the fuel economy setting so don't run out of fuel. I don't like pushing my truck the way it's set up, don't want to break stuff yet.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Does anybody know if an airdog 100 put out enough fuel? I know 150 is usually the norm. A local has a brand new one never used for a fair price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.