Just ordered a DP Tuner F6! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just ordered a DP Tuner F6!

Well guys after months and months of debate, and more reading then I care to think about, I just got off the phone with Jacob@ DP tuner and ordered my F6 with the following settings: stock,80tow.80E,120 Race for now.

I had been on the fence between DP, PHP and BDP and made a call to all three. I had a very hard time getting ahold of PHP, which seems to be a growing trend. I in no way am trying to say anything bad about anyones product, but the customer service wasnt quite what I had hoped for. Once I did get through I talked to I believe Angela, and she was nice enough. I never did get an email response back from Bill however.

I had emailed Beans and never received a response either. I called and got through to eric easy enough. Eric was helpful on the phone but I was fairly disgruntled to hear that even though there tunes are all dyno proven, they dont custom tailor them to the individual customers truck. They choose from tunes made (and tested I am told) using preset configurations. I was told that if I had any issues with the tune, such as overdrive hitting too early, or an odd running issue that there was no grace period for adjustments and that I would have to pay custom tuning fees, or better yet bring the truck down for live tuning. Live tuning is not an option for me up here in Ontario. So needless to say, Beans may have great tunes, but they dont sound like the tunes for me, I like to feel like I will be taken care of after dropping $675 dollars on a tuner and "custom" tunes.

So, on to DP tuner. I have read all the horror stories of windowed blocks, HID and radio interference, touchy go pedals and high EGT's. I feel confident Jody is not going to destroy my motor through the many positive reviews I have read, and through praise of other members. He has also been around the block a time or two (no pun intended haha) I dont plan to run HID lights and ill deal with the radio issue if it even arrises. It doesn't sound too common. Jacob assured me if I feel the throttle is too touchy or I have an egt issue, I have a 90 day grace period for tweaks of my "individually customized tunes". That makes my day. Customer service at DP Tuner truly sets the bar. I always get in touch when I call. (I have talked to Dianne on two occasions and Jacob twice today) I have also had Jody promptly email me back detailed responses pertaining to my questions.

So I just want to set a positive experience with DP Tuner here, and I am quite sure when I receive my (sadly) back ordered chip I will love it and surely post a review comparing it to stock and my junk Diablosport.

Cheers,
Slimline aka Rob

P.S. I truly mean no disrespect to any other tuners I mentioned, I am sure they can all make fantastic tunes for trucks, they just did not pan out for me. I would have loved to have tried Cales tunes too, however he is out of the game temporarily and also did not respond to emails.

*EDIT* Updated with first impressions in Post 28!

Last edited by Slimline; 09-24-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

How come u didnt look at tony wildman tunes... TW, or matt at gearhead, swamps, u have seemed to have done you research so im just curious
Old 09-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
How come u didnt look at tony wildman tunes... TW, or matt at gearhead, swamps, u have seemed to have done you research so im just curious
I have heard great things about both Tony and Matt, and mixed reviews on Jonathan? at Swamps. I guess I never did confirm with Tony, but I know Matt will not email tunes and considering I have run this long without tunes, I dont want to run tuneless when I have to send my chip back for mods etc.

I will admit I like the idea of the F6 a lot too, I prefer the digital illuminated display of the tune your on with the DP switch, and I also ask why limit yourself to 6 tunes if you dont have to? I mean, I understand its unlikely I will ever use more than 2-3 often, but if I want to have a 40 tow, 60 tow, drive through, 80 econo, 80 performance, 120 race, high idle and a sled pull tune I can. I also like the idea of saving the wear and tear on my pcm by removing and installing the chip each time I send a ts chip for mods, or to reburn it myself. With the F6 I never have to take it off again.

My biggest fear was limiting myself with the F6 because I can never get another tuner to write me a tune if for some reason I was unhappy with Jody's. I do have 100% confidence that Jody will take care of my needs though.

*I think Matt, Jonathan and Tony all are capable of writing excellent tunes, I am in no way trying to dissuade anyone from purchasing their merchandise*
Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 AM
BANNED by Kris

If it's not too late I'd personally swap the stock and 80 tow positions. That way you won't have to go through the tow setting just to move from stock to 80e. Then again I don't know how much of a switcher you are. Either way I guess.

My TS is set up:

1: high idle 2: heavy tow 3: tow 4: eco 5: DD 6: race

Makes a nice U-setup on power so that you don't have to go through unassociated tunes

Last edited by BigFuel; 09-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Seems reasonable.... i didnt know jody emailed tunes. Learn something new every day
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
BANNED by Kris

I realize that you have already made your decision but if you know how to ask the question then you get the answer you are looking for

7.3 Ford Powerstroke Tunes only (no chip)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
If it's not too late I'd personally swap the stock and 80 tow positions. That way you won't have to go through the tow setting just to move from stock to 80e. Then again I don't know how much of a switcher you are. Either way I guess.

My TS is set up:

1: high idle 2: heavy tow 3: tow 4: eco 5: DD 6: race

Makes a nice U-setup on power so that you don't have to go through unassociated tunes

Yeah as far as I am aware I can swap the position of the tunes with my laptop right in the truck. I forgot to purchase high idle, but will add it eventually. So I think mine will go

1.High Idle
2.Stock
3.80 eco
4.80 perf
5.80 tow
6.120 race

BigFuel regarding your other post, if it was directed at me, I am aware Jonathan at Beans can email tunes. It is probably lost in one of my ramblings but that wasnt the reason I decided against Beans, it was a discussion with their sales rep Eric(?) who told me tunes arent custom tailored to each individual truck, and that would cost extra. I was also turned off of Beans because I was told if I had any issues with the tunes (like overdrive shift points, pedal dead spots, anything really) there was no grace period for a new purchaser to have that adjusted, I would have to pay for another custom tune revision.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
BANNED by Kris

I hear ya. I'm not sure if it's their general policy or what as I sent my chip back 6 times for adjustments and all they charged was the shipping back to me. The second post was a general post since many people on here just figure that nobody emails tunes anymore. It's not true and here's a link. Not directed at you.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
I hear ya. I'm not sure if it's their general policy or what as I sent my chip back 6 times for adjustments and all they charged was the shipping back to me. The second post was a general post since many people on here just figure that nobody emails tunes anymore. It's not true and here's a link. Not directed at you.
Well for Beans sake I hope that Eric misunderstood my question. Hopefully they haven't changed there policies as from what I was told it was a turn off to do business with them. Are you by chance a member grandfathered into there free update policy? I believe it was somewhere around June of this year where they stopped offering free reburns.

Either way I have no regrets about my decision so far The wait for my chip is agonizing already.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Congrats on the purchase, you'll think it's a whole new truck once you install it! But, once you get a taste of horsepower, it's hard to stop!

I have stage 1 injectors, a T500 HPOP and some other goodies, along with tunes from Cale ay Tyrant Diesel. They're pretty nasty, but they're also a little smokier than other's tunes, which some people don't want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.