Propane Injection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Propane Injection Thoughts
Have propane injection Off The Shelf system 1 16.67%
Have propane injection, homemade version 0 0%
Want propane injection, "smart" closed loop system 1 16.67%
Want propane injection, "dumb" open loop system 0 0%
Dont want propane, I think its really a proPAIN 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Propane Injection

How many people are running propane injection?

"...Fogging or fumigation type dual-fuel systems require little modification to existing engines. The mixture of gaseous-fuel with the intake air charge is introduced into each cylinder of the engine during the intake stroke. During the compression stroke of the piston, the pressure and temperature of the mixture are increased in the conventional manner. Near the end of the compression stroke, a smaller than normal quantity of diesel fuel from the engine's existing diesel fuel injection system is injected into the cylinder. The diesel ignites due to compression and in turn ignites the mixture of gaseous-fuel and intake air, which in turn, accelerates the flame front of the Diesel Fuel, enhancing the combustion process. As will be appreciated, such fumigation systems may be retrofit onto existing diesel engines with little or no modification of the existing engine. Furthermore, engines using such fumigation systems may typically be operated in a dual-fuel mode or in a strictly diesel mode (e.g., when gaseous-fuel is not available). "

-http://www.americandieselsystems.com/diesel-reduction-technology.php

Last edited by gotsomegetsome; 08-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 07:13 AM

If you think it's a pain, explain why. Just because you heard it was is NOT a sufficient reason.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Diesel Freak

As long as you under a load like towing up a hill it is ok to do just don't fog at lower gears as it may take off and ping off the rev limiter which will probably spin main bearings bend push rods break off rocker arms list goes on and on....
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngbuck19 View Post
As long as you under a load like towing up a hill it is ok to do just don't fog at lower gears as it may take off and ping off the rev limiter which will probably spin main bearings bend push rods break off rocker arms list goes on and on....
1. You don't fumigate with propane at idle or out of gear so you shouldn't ever run into that issue of hitting the redline
2. How much propane are you talking about at low gears???

You can run into issues just like propane with methanol. As methanol atomizes, it becomes a low cetane fuel (auto-ignition very unpredictable). Because of this fact, you can encounter severe knock due to rapid burning of the vaporized alcohol and thus, combustion quenching caused by its high latent heat of vaporization and subsequent charge cooling. As everyone here knows, diesel needs charge heat/temperatures to combust effectively.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Diesel Freak

I was just giving him a warning Ive seen first hand when a guy did a burn out he used propane durning it and detonated his block it was a bad sight and sound he was on dry pavement and had 46" Superswampers on the truck too they ate a hole right through the asphault.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I was just giving him a warning Ive seen first hand when a guy did a burn out he used propane durning it and detonated his block it was a bad sight and sound he was on dry pavement and had 46" Superswampers on the truck too they ate a hole right through the asphault.
Sounds like a failed attempt at controlling the propane system...

I guess he learned the hard way, you cant just put a hose into the intake with a tank attached....
Old 08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

But you can run into the stack with an spark plug.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Diesel Freak

I think it was a bully dog system
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I think it was a bully dog system
Then his system was broken because you cant build any good boost pressure unless under a large load, and the bully dog system doesnt inject propane until 7psi
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

pro propane

just wanted to say i like your perspective on the propane their are an enourmous amount of honest people out here that have been misguided into a diy propane kit that has left them sitting or has been misused and cost them some money but noone ever wants to discuss why does anyone out their have a story of their rig where propane did damage and want to explain why i would be very curious i am building a two stage propane kit for my rig now so some first hand failed attempts would be good reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.