Help me determine my next step...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me determine my next step......

I have a 97 F-250 extended cab 4x4 I bought new. It still only has 85,000 miles on it. I don't drive it a lot anymore but, I want to finish up my mods in the next year. I added Stage 1.5 175/30 injectors, a SRP1 a 4" exhaust, an intercooler and a 40,000 transmission cooler and the rest of the stuff in my signature block. My next three upgrades are going to be a D-66, electric fuel and to have my transmission beefed up with a triple disc converter and a shift kit. My question is, what order should I do them in?

The transmission is stock but has never seen any temperatures higher than 170 degrees. It seems to work just fine and has a 40,000 giant cooler installed.

I had a BB in the FPR to bump up my fuel pressure a bit but, to get a more consistant pressure under load, I added the California FPR spring kit. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge at this time but, fuel certainly doesn't seem to be an issue.

My stock turbo seems to work fine as well. I haven't really punched it too much with the new injectors installed but, on steet and extreme (Tony's tunes) I see a lot of smoke and watch the boost gauge go past 30 PSI. Do I need a D-66?

I also have Gearhead tunes for my set up. They are smooth but unlike Tony's tunes, every tune feels the same until you put your foot in it. That's why I have Tony's tunes installed now. However, my wife complains the truck with Tony's tunes installed is hyper and makes me drive like a teenage kid with too much testosterone.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Frostbite; 08-14-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Truck sounds nice

The stock turbo only delivers 700CFM at sea level and on a good day. At 30+ PSI the stocker is getting into danger zone for shredding your intake. A D66 on your rig would do you good. It flows 1050CFM, warranted to 42 PSI, and will turn slower at the same delivery quantity (less PSI and more CFM at the same time). All meaning less stress on your engine. Will help with EGT's too as I believe that the D66 is a 12:1 turbine efficiency to the stockers 18:1

Happy tugging,

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Truck sounds nice

The stock turbo only delivers 700CFM at sea level and on a good day. At 30+ PSI the stocker is getting into danger zone for shredding your intake. A D66 on your rig would do you good. It flows 1050CFM, warranted to 42 PSI, and will turn slower at the same delivery quantity (less PSI and more CFM at the same time). All meaning less stress on your engine. Will help with EGT's too as I believe that the D66 is a 12:1 turbine to the stockers 18:1

Happy tugging,
hehe, you said tug
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Thanks Big Fuel.

Will the D-66 spool as quickly? More specifically, will I lose any bottom end power for tugging by going to the D-66?

Should I be worried about not having enough fuel to support the new injectors and turbo?

I am guessing by reading everything I can that my truck should be in the 400-425 hp range with my mods. How important is it to beef up the transmission before I start with any other mods?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM

I worked with my stock fuel system for a while. If you're getting black smoke now I'd say your fuel delivery is still good. E-Fuel is a great supporting MOD. Lack of oil and the injectors don't fire. Lack of fuel and your injectors collapse. Good torque converter is must as the tranny is doing a lotta work to plant the power right now. Also a good way to beef your trans. is to swap in 4R100 parts (valve body, TC, pumps). TC in the aftermarket get expensive. Billet this triple clutch that, Mine is out of a MOD 4 ambulance. Heavier then **** and abused as **** and since ambulances are everywhere it keeps the cost down. The TW tunes your running might be fine for the new turbo but give them a call. He does free re-burns and will make it work well. Think I answered everything you asked. I'm sure that I'm forgetting something and/or someone else would have another opinion. I'm not the greatest person to ask about upping the stock trans as I'm on my 3rd in two years. Keep blowing them up.

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks again. Great tranny tips!

Does anyone else have any input?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM

put the D-66 on it, you'll need it....and with that much power (over twice what they have stock) you're going to need a transmission that will take it, not just a converter anda valve body....I had a BTS installed by CT Performance, and have not regretted it one bit....it works, and it don't break.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM

^ he's a great one to listen to when it comes to hauling. I'd up to a super tranny like his but the tranny's I'm getting right now are free.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Free is always good! I have been modding my truck as I could afford it for more than a decade. I doubt I will be able come up with $5K for a tranny. I am trying to do the best I can on a fairly limited budget. However, over time I have done quite a bit.

A tranny overhaul is $1,500ish
A D-66 is $1,100ish
E Fuel can be anywhere from $300-$1,000 depending on if I buy a kit or just the parts. I'm just not comfortable with tackling this job right now.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Beans e-fuel is on sale right now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.