What can be done to an OBS with 300k+ miles? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What can be done to an OBS with 300k+ miles?

I just bought a 97 7.3 and she runs flawlessly! Love the truck to death. Have a couple ideas to lift it and make it more off road friendly / pretty. But what kind of mods can be done with that many miles? If any? Only thing I have done now is have it tuned. No chip, just programmed. Anything else?

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
are you asking about ideas for overhaul or for mods?

for mods (on/offroad):
6637 filter
gauges
upgraded downpipe (and ditch that stock ford pos)
locker? lockers?
if auto toss in a shift kit
Im sure others will toss in ideas here soon

oh and post up some pics...we love pics!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 AM

I posted the following response on another guys thread that asked basically the same question. The sky is the limit on mods you can do. Just depends on money, time and skill. You just need to decide REALISTICALLY what you want from your truck, temper that with the money, time and skill factor then go to town

No disrespect to the guys that are getting real technical, real fast and dropping acronyms like they are hot...

If I was you dude, I would start simple and go from there.
-your 4.10 gears are the biggest fuel economy issue. Find a set of 3.55 gears to drop RPM.
-decide on a good tuner. There are lots out there, most guys around here seem to prefer a TS6 position chip either with factory cookie cutter tunes or you can step it up and get custom tunes loaded by a tuner of your choice.
-air intake. Lots of guys build their own using a napa 6637 filter and some PVC or something similar piping. If you search CAI (cold air intake) or DIY 6637 intake you will find lots of write ups and pics to help you.
-get rid of the factory down pipe. This is the pipe that runs from the turbo down to your exhaust system. If you lay on your engine and look down that pipe or lay on the ground and look up it, you will see that it is squashed almost flat right from factory. There are a pile of manufacturers that make 3" aftermarket down pipes. You can get them with the flange on the end to bolt up to your exhaust or just bare pipe so you can weld custom exhaust or whatever to it.
-get rid of your catalytic converter at least and preferably your muffler as well. They are extremely restrictive. Don't worry, even with them removed your truck will NOT be loud, just more whistle and sound more aggressive. You don't need to get into big custom systems right off the hop.
-a good set of gauges, most important being Exhaust Gas Temp. If you can only afford one, get that one.
-you have a ZF5 trans, which is a very stout reliable trans. You don't need a heavy clutch unless you start really getting in the hp mods. I would suggest that you start a coffee can piggy bank and start saving for a clutch down the road cause sooner or later we all have to do one, especially if you still have the factory dual mass flywheel which is known to come apart with no warning.

The mods that I listed are called "the basics". That's what I have. I gained about 4mpg, better driveability, a few more HP and just generally made my truck happier. The mods these other guys are talking about are going to the next step. If you have lots of money and want to do as much as you can, go for it. The things they have listed ie: injectors, big oil, big fuel, big air are all awesome mods and good valid suggestions, but I remember being new and having guys throwing acronyms and technical numbers and names at me like crazy when all I really wanted was the list I just gave you. "The basics" need to be done before doing of the big boy mods like injectors and stuff anyway to support them properly.

That's my .02. Good luck

Have you found all the OBS specific threads?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Banned

"Programmed"? With what? I'm willing to bet money that whatever it is needs to be pulled out before you destroy something.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 AM

I hooked the edge evolution up to it. Put it in tow. Thank you JJ for the detailed list. And maverick. Here you go!

Attached Thumbnails
What can be done to an OBS with 300k+ miles?-uploadfromtaptalk1344434652042.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Banned

edge= blown transmissions and less power than custom tunes.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM

Would it be worth getting the TS? and only reason we used it is cause with its mileage, we didn't want to blow the engine up.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just because it has 300k that doesn't mean squat. If the engine has been well maintained and is in top mechanical condition I wouldn't worry to much about a few mods. Yeah you may not want to push it to the point of 500hp. I bought my truck with 250k on it, didn't start modding until 265k and now at 310k I'm getting ready to install 1.5 injectors and a custom burned chip.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

The only reason you used what?? The edge????? Using an edge is the BEST way to destroy a transmission
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Yea. I do have a brand new tranny under it. Only 6k miles on it. And has the cat and muffler removed. The Guy I bought it from wasn't sure if it had injector work or not. And for 305k it runs excellent. The Guy religiously changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter at the same time. I didn't know 300k miles wasn't as big an issue as u thought. Only thing I've noticed about the truck is a little loping at idle. And choppy idle. So your saying I should put the truck back in stock, and just chip it? I read this could fix my idle too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.