Stage 1s and mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stage 1s and mileage

Ok guys well ive got a bit of a issue come september 10 i will be commutibg approximatly 120 miles everyday and i was wondering if stage one would boost my mileage and by how much the truck is mostly stock with a 4" turbo back (3 inch downpipe) and afe stage 2 intake with php tunes

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Emergency Services

How many miles are on your current injectors? New injectors should increase mileage about .5-1 mpg depending on the health of your current ones, as well as your driving habits.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM

The truck has about 202000 miles and idk if they ever been changed so it might be a good idea because i could probaly pick up a bunch if there really bad

Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 AM

the two best things you can do for mileage are to keep the RPM's under 2,000, and the cruising speed under 60.

the injectors will probably HURT your mileage.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 AM

I have herd stage 1s will give you a 1-3 mpg increse because it's not working as hard to inject fuel
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Ya im getting about 17.5 @70 and that was from my house to santa cruz which includes a steep hill climb so i think stage 1s would put me up around 20 easy especially if there all guked up on the inside that would help a ton

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Id suggest looking into a little 500-1500 beater car if its an option. It will take a while to recop the $1000 cost of new sticks with a maybe 0 to 2mpg gain. When with a car you will go from 15-17 mpg to 30-35 mpg.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM

I just bought a little hyundia i bearly fit in but at 35mpg My fuel bill per month went from over 300- to around 120. and I only drive roughly 1000 miles a month.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM

I love all the tales of high mpg in these big diesel pigs. I have owned my 96' dually 4x4 since 98'. When it was stock with 3.55 gears the absolute best it ever got was 18mpg. I was one of Ryan's first customers and, after installing Bean's stage 1's, Twildman's programs on a TS chip, hypermax 3.5" downpipe, 4" straight exhaust, and an Online Airflow intake, my mpg stayed the same, 17-18 highway, less when driven in town and country roads.

Now, with 4.10's and the same setup, on a 1,000 mile all interstate trip, it averaged 16.8mpg, empty. On the return trip, towing a 24' enclosed trailer, 8ft tall interior height, and 8.5ft wide, it averaged 8.6mpg. Both ways the cruise was set on 63mph.

I have a friend who has the only Dodge diesel that I have ever heard of that gets the mileage he gets. He says that his gets 15 highway. His F350 he traded in on the Dodge got 14mpg. I believe his mileage is accurate.

To answer the original question, I don't think you will see any improvement, if you are intellectually honest.

Last edited by Mollieandgil; 07-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 PM

I don't see the logic in spending $1k+ for hopes of a 2-3 mpg improvement at best. As mentioned above, look into a cheap car with liability insurance - the savings in oil changes combined with better fuel economy would pay for itself far faster than performance injectors would. Btw, the reason stg 1's increase mpg's is because they're single shot vs split shot. The problem is: with stg 1's people usually change to a more aggressive driving style with the newfound power.

To improve your fuel economy in general with these trucks, do simple/cheap things: clean fpr screen, keep tire pressure full, coast to stop lights more to avoid having to accelerate from a dead stop, don't go over 60-65 mph highway, keep your tailgate up or even get a netted tail "gate", accelerate slowly/below 2k rpm, maybe even change your rear gear oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.