Smallest injector for a D66 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smallest injector for a D66

I was thinking about upgrading to a D66 for my 97. I can really lay down the coal in the DD or race setting. I am looking to clean it up.

I have Jodys tunes DD (80hp), Tow (60hp), Race(120hp). My truck also is a Cali emissions truck so it has the 120cc Split shot injectors stock. Under any hard throttle, it trows a CEl for Low HPO. So i know I need a HPOP(t500). Intercooler is currently going in. Is there a need for a D66? Is it going to be too "big" for my injectors? the trucks main duty is to tow. It has 4:10s, 35" tires and a 5 speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM

From my research on the D66, your 120cc injectors will light it up nice if you have your TS tuned for both.

I've read the D66 is ok with stock 90cc injectors, but really comes to life with stage 1's (160cc's).
Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 AM

ANybody else?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The D66 would be a great upgrade if you ever plan on going with bigger sticks. Iirc your splits are not flowing much more than 90cc singles so your stock leaf blower should work fine.

Fwiw it sounds like your over fueling. I am running Rosewood stage 1's (160/80), stock fuel, stock hpop, and Tonys tunes with very little smoke in all tunes except for extreme 140HP tune.

The T500 is a must, especially if your going with the d66.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 while my wife is yelling at me for being on my phone...
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
The D66 would be a great upgrade if you ever plan on going with bigger sticks. Iirc your splits are not flowing much more than 90cc singles so your stock leaf blower should work fine.

Fwiw it sounds like your over fueling. I am running Rosewood stage 1's (160/80), stock fuel, stock hpop, and Tonys tunes with very little smoke in all tunes except for extreme 140HP tune.

The T500 is a must, especially if your going with the d66.

How do you figure a 120cc injector thats smoking on the stock turbo like a bandit is flowing less than a 90cc injector on a stock turbo that wont smoke one bit? That to me means he's flowing quite well and needs more air to clean it up

fwiw, stock cali trucks are supposed to put down a good 20-40whp more than stock single shot trucks.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM

Brad, go ahead and do the D-66....I'm running one, and it's a good turbo....you can add bigger injectors, and the tuning for them later....
if your turbo is marginal, it should help a lot...if your turbo is good, probably not so much, but it's a good mod for the future....
the big power stopper is the injectors, as they are too small get much out of ....you can read my sig and see what I've done to my '97, and it's responded very well....

the other option would be to go Super Duty all the way and do a 38r Ball Bearing turbo...I think thats a better deal, but unless you can get the parts cheap, it gets spendy.....

and I still like the idea of a modded H2e better, as it comes with the bellowed up-pipes.... (if you get the right kit) ...but it's spendier yet ...

what you chose now is really dependent on WHERE you're headed with the truck...... how much power do you want to wind up with, and what are you going to do with it ?

if you are going to tow a lot, my setup has worked out well....I do think I would like a 38r a bit better, cause they spool quicker .....
possibly the H2e, because they are a very tough (and re-buildable) turbo, but the D-66 has worked out quite well for the price.....

give Cary T ( OBSWIZ ) a call and hash it over with him, he's VERY knowledgeable, an won't steer you wrong...

Cary T CT Performance
775-835-3569 8am to 5pm
Pacific time. M-Sat

Last edited by OL' OutLaw; 07-25-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 AM
BANNED by Kris

If all you're wanting is a bit more air save your money and get a 1.0 housing. I had a full BANKs kit and then went with the D66 for more air and it was a dog till I upped the injectors, E-Fuel, and tuning to match the D66. Even Beans doesn't recommend it without at least stage one's
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
How do you figure a 120cc injector thats smoking on the stock turbo like a bandit is flowing less than a 90cc injector on a stock turbo that wont smoke one bit? That to me means he's flowing quite well and needs more air to clean it up

fwiw, stock cali trucks are supposed to put down a good 20-40whp more than stock single shot trucks.
Incorrect x2... I said his 120 splits are only flowing a bit more than 90 singles. The splits were installed in 97 OBS Cali trucks, and 99-03 SD trucks to meet fedral EPA guidlines, which changed in 97. The splits will flo a bit more fuel but not much in stock format. Tuned you will get more HP in his format from the 90 stick.

Adding more air to his setup will not clean up the smoke.

Stock injectors with a stock turbo and good tuning shouldnt smoke hardly at all.

To the OP... Either way you go it sounds to me like you need some revised tuning. A d66 with stock sticks will add to much boost and require a re-tune.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
Incorrect x2... I said his 120 splits are only flowing a bit more than 90 singles. The splits were installed in 97 OBS Cali trucks, and 99-03 SD trucks to meet fedral EPA guidlines, which changed in 97. The splits will flo a bit more fuel but not much in stock format. Tuned you will get more HP in his format from the 90 stick.

Adding more air to his setup will not clean up the smoke.

Stock injectors with a stock turbo and good tuning shouldnt smoke hardly at all.

To the OP... Either way you go it sounds to me like you need some revised tuning. A d66 with stock sticks will add to much boost and require a re-tune.

I wasn't attacking you, so dont take it that way.

So your saying mod vs mod, a split shot cali truck will dyno 40whp more than a single shot obs?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM

a 1.0 housing will not give you more air, it simply starts turning a LITTLE BIT sooner...I know, because it bought one, and tried it both ways, with no other changes, and the 1.0 housing is VASTLY overrated.....the real limiting factor in all the 97 and older trucks is the small injectors .....get some stage I's or larger, a TS chip tuned for your particular setup, and don't bother trying to tune for anything less, you're wasting your time. IMHO, it would be wise to do an IC, injectors, and the turbo all at the same time, and tune for THAT scenario..... then you won't be constantly sending the chip back to get it re-tuned every three weeks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.