Need 7.3 guidance..badly.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need 7.3 guidance..badly..

Hello all..
I'm looking to upgrade to my new injectors very soon.. my signature tells the story. My question is.. what do I need to do next? My motor tranny and other parts are in good working order.. but I want my truck to run safely first and foremost.. but also push more power. I know that things will most likely break after I install these injectors but I'd like to take care of them before they go bad. I need to know what other upgrades I need, in order of importance.. and also what I should watch for(besides high egts) to make sure nothing breaks.. and also what will most likely break... thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if your going with stage 2 sticks you will need an upgraded hpop most people go with a terminator t500 pump
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 PM

So a new hpop is the first thing I need to do? What will happen if I run my stock hpop for a little while?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:04 PM

turbo first....(D-66 will bolt on) then IC, then HPOP, then e-fuel, and with Stage II's, you will need studs and springs......
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Banned

Studs and springs w/ stage II's? I've never heard of that as a prerequisite.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Auto tranny? If so, definitely upgrade the cooler. I just installed a Tru Cool 4921 last weekend. There is no comparison and the install was pretty easy, just time consuming (though I flushed the tranny too).
Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

1st... b4 u do anything... u NEED gauges, and prolly go ahead and install a large transmission cooler.

2nd... check ure fuel pressure at WOT, it will prolly be below specs (anything below 50psi) which means u should bo e-fuel. The reason i say that is once u open up the flow ure fuel pump wont be able to keep up. Every time ure fuel pressure drops when u get on the skinny peddle u will be slowly destroying your injectors that u just spent so much on and save up for...

3rd...go ahead and install injectors and check out under valve cove harness and glow plugs.. if u havent done the intercooler yet u will have to watch egts like a hawk and if u tow at all then i would recomend doing it first.

4th..... get ure chip and have them detune it untill u can afford a turbo so u dont blow it apart.

5th... upgrade ure HPOP... reason i say not to upgrade earlier is low HPOP pressure will not cause any damage, just low performance and bad fuel economy. Once upgraded u can reburn chip or leave it like it is untill u swap the turbo.

6th... upgrade turbo... d66 or if u wana go all out, t4 mount kit and an s366.

Ure trans will blow in there somewhere which at that time go ahead and either swap in a zf5 or build the trans.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM

I've already got a zf5 so the tranny isn't a problem.. I have the gauges and they'll be installed at the same time as the injectors. My fuel pressure is above 50.. I just did the FPR shim and I'll have a fuel pressure gauge soon to go with the pyro and boost... which I will be watching pretty hard. The harnesses are getting replaced with the injectors as well. The chip will be here as soon as its burnt. And it's tuned for stock turbo fuel system and hpop. Until then I'll be running it soft. and I'll do the other upgrades as soon as the cash comes...

Ps. Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it a lot..
Old 07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

If you have a 5spd, a good clutch is needed
Old 07-20-2012, 11:39 AM

It has a near brand new oem clutch in it now...once it fails it gets a south bend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, injectors, stage 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.