Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

17* super duty pump worth it?

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
I'm kinda-sorta debating picking up a 17* SD pump or termy t500, but am wondering if it's worth it. I've got 240k on my stock 15*, and without scanning it I dont know what kinda condition it's actually in. I was considering a t500 but was told it's only a SD 17* pump, so I'm on the wall dropping the cash and effort into swapping hpops.

The most I plan to do to the truck is chip/1.0/swamps idm.. so fire opinions.

#3 ·
T500 is an upgrade, why do you think the SD guys get them, but if your never going to do injectors or you find it cheap enough the 17* will be worth it.

#4 ·
Well I've always been a believer in waht I've read about the termy pumps, but somebody had told me yesterday that the termy pumps were basically a stock 17*.

I'm just concerned about my stock 240k pump keeping up with a chip, at least until I get my hpop s canned for pressures.

#5 ·
Have you checked your hpop pressure? I could be good enough to keep up right now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#6 ·
No I have not.. all I know is guy before me drove it like grandpa, and I do for the most part. So hopefully its still lively.

#11 ·
No, def not. Prolly not even stage 1's truthfully.

Which ones cheeper, The T500 or a stock 17*? I thought the T500 was a stock one that he just machined his own design swash plate to getter a little bit higher pressure than what a stock 17* pump can do? If the stock one is cheeper get it since it can handle Stage II's and down.
Depends.. i've seen 17* go for near as much as a t500 is worth, thats why I ask.

Cool, thanks for the link man

The T500 list for 460 plus 200 core so I would just go with the stock 17* then.
for only 60$ more, why not opt for the t500, right?

#8 ·
Which ones cheeper, The T500 or a stock 17*? I thought the T500 was a stock one that he just machined his own design swash plate to getter a little bit higher pressure than what a stock 17* pump can do? If the stock one is cheeper get it since it can handle Stage II's and down.

#16 ·
Oh good thinking! Great input guys, thanks!

#17 ·
Sorry to kinda but in , but wont the 17* just bolt on to the obs 7.3? Dose it need any modifaction?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app while my boss isnt looking...

#18 ·
Yes the 17* bolts right in Most pumps will.

#20 ·
What's diff about a 95??

#22 ·
yep. like cary said........the 95 was equipped with an anti drain back feature not used on later models. you woud need to replace or modify the front cover IIRC to install a later pump on a 95.

#23 ·
I never knew that, thanks for the info guys.

#26 ·
Good input, thanks :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.