1996 F350 7.3L .. Chip or Tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 F350 7.3L .. Chip or Tuner

I could use some input relative to my plans to performance upgrade my 1996 F350 7.3L. Crew Cab.

Its current HP rating is stock at 210 hp. I plan to go with a chip/tuner 40-45 hp increase with addition of a 3" down pipe. Next year, will add an inter-cooler and possibly a 4" exhaust and then plan to add another 50 horsepower with the chip/tuner.

With the above in mind, I am wonder which is the best route to go, Bank's Big Hoss Tuner or the TS Performance 6 position chip.

Banks folks tell me they will upgrade me to the extra horsepower when I need it at it no charge. If I go the Banks route, I may add the transmission module for stiffer shifting, hence less heat. In any case I do not plan to go above 40 HP without an inter-cooler. Note, that I do not use my truck for heavy hauling/towing. Use it basically for light hauling. May haul a skid loader on a trailer for a short distance.

My biggest problem right now is stop and go traffic in the city. The traffic is piled up behind me until I reach the sustained 35 to 45 mph range. I do not like mashing the accelerator and like to stay below 2000 rpm. I am thinking 40 more HP should help without putting too much strain on my power system. I prefer not to add the small turbine scroll. I am thinking that my stock 1.0A/R housing will keep turbine speed down on a long cruises, that is less of a choke condition, perhaps lower EGT's as well.

The feature l like about the Bank's system is that is seams straight forward and was designed with sensitivity to the fragility (no inter-cooler, large down pipe, injectors, etc.) of the early 7.3L and transmission and does not mess with the stock engine codes. I am not sure how the TS chip compares.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are SO many threads about this.
Banks is dumb. TS is dumb compared to custom tunes too.
Custom tunes do everything you want and more.
Get a DIY intake or whatever you feel like, free flowing exhaust with the 3" DP like you said, and then custom tunes on a TS style chip from Beans, BTS, Gearhead, Innovative, Swamps, Tony Wildman, or PHP. Gauges are a good idea.
For you, I'd also get a valve body, much better than the "transmission module," whatever it is, from BTS, John Woods, or Gregg Evans.
Also a bigger trans cooler for the stop and go is a good idea.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
There are SO many threads about this.
Banks is dumb. TS is dumb compared to custom tunes too.
Custom tunes do everything you want and more.
Get a DIY intake or whatever you feel like, free flowing exhaust with the 3" DP like you said, and then custom tunes on a TS style chip from Beans, BTS, Gearhead, Innovative, Swamps, Tony Wildman, or PHP. Gauges are a good idea.
For you, I'd also get a valve body, much better than the "transmission module," whatever it is, from BTS, John Woods, or Gregg Evans.
Also a bigger trans cooler for the stop and go is a good idea.
_______
Thanks jesilvsas. Great feed back. I am going to dig into your recommendations.
Thanks again.

Last edited by CatusBronco; 05-31-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.