Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Carrier bearing looks shot... where to get new one?

3K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Gaius 
#1 ·
Is there a better-than-stock carrier bearing that I can buy? Where from?

#2 ·
Stock replacement is your best bet if you want to keep the carrier bearing. They are pretty cheap from O'Reilly's. I think they are less than $20.

When mine goes, I'm going to have my drive shaft made into a 1 piece unit and eliminate the carrier bearing.

#3 ·
Oh thats cheap! I didn't think it would be that cheap.

I want to keep the carrier bearing because of the lift I just feel it's too risky to not have it. So basically any napa or o'reillys or autozone etc?

#4 ·
I like Oreileys and their parts but the carrier bearing they had looked really cheap. I don't remember the brand name of it but that was all they had in stock so I went to Advance Auto and they had a Moog for like 10 bucks more so I went with them. You could tell it was much better quality and it weighed twice as much. That's been over 2 years and no probs. I'd like to know if anyone had found greasable units ?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#5 ·
Good deal, I can handle moog. Thanks a ton guys.

#7 ·
Alright so this will be a cheap fix... good!

#8 ·
Are they a sealed bearing? Could you add a zero to the housing to keep it greased?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#9 ·
I'm not sure of that one?

#10 ·
They should be sealed.
Doug

#11 ·
Yes theyre sealed. Dont forget the bearing needs to be pressed on to the driveshaft

#12 ·
How do I press them onto the drive shaft??

#13 ·
Youll have to take it to a shop. Or put the drive shaft in a freezer and slightly heat the bearing. It should slide on most of the way, have a pipe ready that fits on the bearing and tap it on the rest of the way

#14 ·
Damn. Is all you need a bearing press or is there a special driveshaft tool?

#16 ·
Alright thank you guys

#18 ·
Any reason why you like skf or timken?

Thanks for the input

#21 ·
Timkens come stock on Jeeps and that's all I'll use anymore. I've had bad luck with off brand hubs and misc transfer case/differential bearings. The Timken last much more better, plus the price is right.

Same thing with ball joints, all I'll ever use is Spicer. Moog lately is crap.

#19 ·
Don't know about now but Timken used to be made in the USA. That's why I used them.
Doug

#20 ·
Ah thats good enough for me :thumb:

#22 ·
for anything driveline I prefer spicer. I think spicer was oe equipment. Check with your local driveshaft shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.