What are some side effects to not changing the oil in a while - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are some side effects to not changing the oil in a while

Such as, low power, low mpg, hard starts etc? I know these heui babies need some good, clean oil, but what happens when oil changes are neglected and put off for extended periods of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my truck runs great, but seemed a bit peppier when i did the oil change when i bought it, previous owner hadnt done one in over 2 years, rite now im at like 9k on current oil, and gonna try and get one done tomorrow morning
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Banned

2yrs?!?! Wow! These heui trucks are SUPER reliant on the oil.. did he not drive the truck often or what?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

not sure on how long, but the truck was setting for 2 years before i bought it, and tags were out, said they were good on keeping it up, but i bought it from a guy, it was his fathers truck, and when his father passed he sold me the truck from his estate, but i try to keep it changed pretty good, but sometimes that $100 oil change just aint in the budget
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Banned

Ya its not cheap with these. I'm sure when somebody more knowledgeable than us pipes up we'll hear more about this. Our hpops shear the oil pretty bad and use and abuse the oil, so I bet there are some pretty bad drawbacks to using old oil.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

ohh of course there is drawbacks, bout how far are you from an oil change anyway?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the oil needs to be changed every 5000 mi according to Ford.....I only tow with mine, so it gets changed every 3000 mi. the HPOP, and the gears break down the fibers.....

the cheap way to change it is to go to Wal-Mart, get the filter (they carry the Motorcraft 1995 - $10.00) and Shell Rotella 15-40 oil, and change it yourself.....

I don't like Delo, as it doesn't have as much detergent as Shell, Union Guardol, or Mobile 1300 Super....I had my own business building Cummins truck engines, and every one I tore down that had Delo in it was full of black crap, all over everything......any one of those three are fine, they HAVE to be,.. if they let the specs of their oil slide a bit, Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit won't warranty their Big Rig engines with their oil in the crancase...those three are the Very best cheap oil you can buy, I've been using Shell Rotella T for 30 years in EVERYTHING I own, from my Honda generator, ($2100.00 generator), the the HO V8 in the Jeep grand Cherokee, my 97 F350, to my own personal Big truck engines, and have never lost an engine in over 30 years.....

this is the best advice you'll ever get....change your oil often.....oil's cheap, engines are expensive.....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM

i hadent changed mine in years.. didn't really notice a difference when i just got it changed finally
Old 05-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
ohh of course there is drawbacks, bout how far are you from an oil change anyway?
Put it this way... owned the truck about 2yrs, and when I first got the truck it needed an oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL' OutLaw View Post
the oil needs to be changed every 5000 mi according to Ford.....I only tow with mine, so it gets changed every 3000 mi. the HPOP, and the gears break down the fibers.....

the cheap way to change it is to go to Wal-Mart, get the filter (they carry the Motorcraft 1995 - $10.00) and Shell Rotella 15-40 oil, and change it yourself.....

I don't like Delo, as it doesn't have as much detergent as Shell, Union Guardol, or Mobile 1300 Super....I had my own business building Cummins truck engines, and every one I tore down that had Delo in it was full of black crap, all over everything......any one of those three are fine, they HAVE to be,.. if they let the specs of their oil slide a bit, Caterpillar, Cummins and Detroit won't warranty their Big Rig engines with their oil in the crancase...those three are the Very best cheap oil you can buy, I've been using Shell Rotella T for 30 years in EVERYTHING I own, from my Honda generator, ($2100.00 generator), the the HO V8 in the Jeep grand Cherokee, my 97 F350, to my own personal Big truck engines, and have never lost an engine in over 30 years.....

this is the best advice you'll ever get....change your oil often.....oil's cheap, engines are expensive.....
I'm def. going Rotella T6, hands down. Thats interesting that the Delo left black crap in the CC and the companies wouldn't warranty that oil.

I'm VERY intuned with my truck, and I feel like hi-rpm performance is sometimes lacking and it cold starts kinda funky and low-power. I just have a feeling that bad oil is relevant.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 PM

I normally go 7500-10,000 miles or 2-2.5 years between oil changes. I use only rotella T6. Have never had a starting or any other issue for that matter hot or cold. When I worked for Detroit Diesel I used to see the same thing as Ol' Outlaw is talking about when using Delo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.