how will these mods help towing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how will these mods help towing?

A Swamps modded idm, 1.0 exhaust housing, and beans custom tunes. I'm thinking these things combined will put me at 300-320whp or so, and 600-650ft-lbs maybe? I think these mods will help me off the line and spool much quicker, and I think towing in higher rpms will be even easier than it is now.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Should make a pretty decent setup for a tow rig. Are you running larger injectors or an intercooler?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
well afaik the tunes should increase power to get up faster, the 1.0 housing will make your turbo spool faster with higher boost to also get you there faster, and the idm will increase the frequency of injector firing.

i only have tunes and the power to move my truck especially with a load is a huge difference, and i love it

btw the truck you have for sale, what is it? you have conflicting mods/descriptions is it an f250 sclb? or f350 cclb?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Thoes mods will deff. Help towing but i dont think u will be at 300hp.. no matter what tune u get you cant really get any more then 80hp out of a tune even on the 140hp setting with stock sticks in a non cali. Truck
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

I've heard from a reputable person that my 300-320whp estimate is gonna be pretty accuraute...

I prolly won't ever do sticks or an ic on this truck, no.

So you think that with a tune alone my truck will move out from a stop way easier with a load?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
A Swamps modded idm, 1.0 exhaust housing, and beans custom tunes. I'm thinking these things combined will put me at 300-320whp or so, and 600-650ft-lbs maybe? I think these mods will help me off the line and spool much quicker, and I think towing in higher rpms will be even easier than it is now.

Thoughts?
Unless you are planning on installing an intercooler (which you said you were not), I'd stay FAR away from the 1.0 housing if you are towing (obviously you are based on the thread title). The 1.0 housing will increase the EGT's because the exhaust can't get out of the engine as fast as with the 1.15 housing since the 1.0 housing is smaller. It is like trying to blow the same amount of air through a smaller straw, it will take longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
Thoes mods will deff. Help towing but i dont think u will be at 300hp.. no matter what tune u get you cant really get any more then 80hp out of a tune even on the 140hp setting with stock sticks in a non cali. Truck
300HP at the crank is pretty accurate with just a TS chip on the 80HP setting. You have to remember, he has the '97 version 7.3 which is rated at 225HP at the crank from the factory. If you add 80HP to it with a chip, that would be 305HP at the crank.

Will he get 300HP to the wheels, hell no. There will be a lot lost in the drivetrain, especially with the automatic transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I've heard from a reputable person that my 300-320whp estimate is gonna be pretty accuraute...

I prolly won't ever do sticks or an ic on this truck, no.

So you think that with a tune alone my truck will move out from a stop way easier with a load?
You must have missunderstood the "reputable" person. I would guarantee if they are a "reputable" person, they didn't say Rear Wheel Power at the 300 number. They more than likely said crank HP. The engine from the factory is rated at 225HP at the crank. By just adding a TS chip and running the 80HP setting will bump that to 305HP at the crank.

You should consider an intercooler if you are towing a lot.

The tune alone will help. The 1.0 housing will help get you going, but hurt you in the long run as the EGT's will be higher.

If you want help getting going, consider swapping in 4.10 gears.

REMEMBER, there is always a negative side to every modification you do. More HP means more heat from the engine; a smaller exhaust housing means more heat as well. You have to decide what is practical to your use.

Also, these trucks are rated at towing up to 18,000# from the factory in a dual wheel setup. I have seen what an OBS 7.3 can tow. If you are towing more than the truck is rated for, you need to reconsider.

Last edited by mjonesjr; 04-30-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

Yes i will give u 300 crank.... but who ever rates their trucks HP at the crank.... i was speaking at the wheels
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Blue97 View Post
Yes i will give u 300 crank.... but who ever rates their trucks HP at the crank.... i was speaking at the wheels
Well hell no it won't give you 300HP at the wheels. The only thing that will get you to 300HP at the wheels would be injectors. Stage 1 injectors are good for 100HP at the rear wheels.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM

the best thing you could do is stick stage I's in it, and then an Intercooler.....the stage I's will work with your stock turbo, IF it's in GOOD condition....the IC will help you cool the increased fuel......the 97's and older trucks only had like 93 cc injectors in them, and that's where they are hurting the most compared to the newer engines.....

injectors, IC, tunes, and if you can, do them all together....you'll wind up with damn close to 350 on the ground, and it'll feel like somebody shoved in another motor alongside the one you have.....
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

I've heard from a people, as well as seen dyno's myself, of the swamps idm adding 20-30hp and 60ftlbs at the wheels... plus the exhaust and dp helps some too... so thats where I was figuring 300-320ish whp.

The 1.0 housing wont cause crazy egt's on my mostly stockish truck. In fact, lots of people use the 1.0 housing with stage 1's and like it. I've heard of people with stage 1's and the 1.0 housing trying to go back to the 1.15housing, and the truck is a slug without it so they put the 1.0 back on.

I'm not trying to pull anything crazy, I just HATE how these beautiful v8's need some rpm under them before they really start pulling hard. The combination of building boost at 1500rpms with the 1.0 housing will help that a lot, combined with the swamps idm helping higher rpm towing/cruising, then topped off with some nasty custom tunes... I can feel the power now :evil:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.