Upgrade goal. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade goal.

Hey guys, Ive had my truck 6 months now and love it. I think I have set a goal for what I want for performance. It fits the bugdet and I think it will do alright.

The truck has 195k miles, my first question is it stupid to try to upgrade an engine with this many miles?

Second question, what is the horsepower I could/would expect out of this setup?( I have intake exhaust clutch, ect already)

Im thinking if i pick out these parts used/ wait for deals I can get this stuff for 2000$ give or take.

D66 turbo

stage 2 rosewood

tuning ( from who?)

t-500 HPOP

what would be the bottleneck at that point? how would the fuel system be holding up? I would obviously get a fuel pressure guage and watch it ( what is the limit? under 40psi is bad?)

thanks a lot guys! this is not a all at once purchase, but a set goal to have a truck that will get out of its own way and be reliable.

any comments welcolm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Only 195,000????

To answer your first question, look at my mileage and my mods, they all started just before 400,000 miles.

What do you plan to use the truck for? Do you have a specific hp goal in mind? Here is what I can tell you:

Cost
D66-1100
Stage 2's-1200
Custom tunes-450
T500-450

Other needed mods
Intercooler setup-600
Trans/clutch upgrades-$$$ varies
Electric fuel (recommended)-600

What you will see with all of this
Right around 425-450hp give or take depending on the tuner for the chip
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 PM

Alright, well I just just looking into it. I was going to get PHP 300$ tune for now, and have it upgraded when I got more upgrades.

I was thinking rosewood bugdet stage 2's? 850$? are those junk? ive read good things about rosewood.

and I was hoping to find a used d66 if those ever come up.

450 is more horsepower then I think i would probably need, for now! What does a 450hp power-stroke make for torque?

I tow but basically just like power for fun/play reasons and Im a big fuel economy guy, love being able to tell people my 1 ton pickup get over 20mpg.

so anything that could help me out there would also be awesome...

I know that fuel economy and power don't go together, but there has to be a middle ground.

-forgot about intercooler completely, Im going to do that this summer as temperatures go up....Im looking for a superduty spider if anyone has one ( I think thats what i need right? ) then im hitting up local junkyards for a 6.0 cooler.

what is the best way about getting the piping? I have access to a machine shop, so if there is fab i can do it.

or do you just use the 7.3 pipes?

thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Full A-Team Member

if 450 hp is more than enough just do a stage 1 injector, premium build injectors have all new internals, budget build are flow tested and only bad parts are replaced.

450 hp will drop in right at around 800-850tq--give or take
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

I've heard really good things about rosewood's budget build injectors. I've also heard he is really good about getting them in and done and sent back out. As far as mileage and power. Those stage 2's are going to take a lot more fuel. So I'm willing to bet your mileage doesn't stay where it's at, even if you drive like a grandpa.

PM 08spartan250. He can tell you where to get a complete intercooler piping kit.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Full A-Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker0920 View Post
Those stage 2's are going to take a lot more fuel. So I'm willing to bet your mileage doesn't stay where it's at, even if you drive like a grandpa.
Negative ghost rider. They can ruin your mileage if you feed it, but I gained mpg with stage 1's, all depends how you drive it.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Full A-Team Member

On the injectors....

Do it once and do it right, premium build.

And yes, Rosewood all the way...for me anyway, there are alot of good injector builders out there
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM

I've heard great stuff about farmers diesel. I'm ordering a set of sureflows from them soon

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Emergency Services

Stage 1's, intercooler, T500, stock turbo, stock fuel, mod trans accordingly, PHP tunes. Should be a solid tow/DD rig.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Crewcab7.3 View Post
Stage 1's, intercooler, T500, stock turbo, stock fuel, mod trans accordingly, PHP tunes. Should be a solid tow/DD rig.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
X2 on this...

If your goal it to have a reliable dd that has a some gettyup when you stab the go pedal then this.is what you need...

Diy intake, exhaust, tunes, stage 1 sticks, clutch/Trans upgrade, guages. You will make over 350rwhp with that setup on a stock fp without an IC. If you will be doing alot of towing then an IC is a good idea, I do alot with mine but never really see super high egts.

Rosewoods budget builds are fine, but I do agree on doing it right the first time, I went with the premiums. I can say that if Jim tells you you sticks can be rebuilt on a budget then they can be. He know his chit, and all he does are powerstrokes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.