E4OD Torque Converter Lock Up Mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow E4OD Torque Converter Lock Up Mods

Hi, I have been reading about the E4OD torque converter lock up mod and was wondering if anyone here has done it. I've heard that it can improve transmission life and other things but I wanted to talk to someone who has actually done this. Is it that difficult to do? I have seen some wiring diagrams and several different ones at that. I will post some of them below for those of you who are interested. I know someone that has done it locally all they said was that it is worth it, he had not installed it, he had someone put his in. His transmission is at 450K and still climbing. Let me know if you have done this or if you have experience with it.

Here are some of the wiring diagrams:

E4OD torque converter manual control (off-lock).pdf
E4OD torque converter manual control (off-auto-lock).pdf
E4OD torque converter manual control (auto-lock).pdf
( If you have problems opening them try using Adobe Reader)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer58 View Post
Hi, I have been reading about the E4OD torque converter lock up mod and was wondering if anyone here has done it. I've heard that it can improve transmission life and other things but I wanted to talk to someone who has actually done this. Is it that difficult to do? I have seen some wiring diagrams and several different ones at that. I will post some of them below for those of you who are interested. I know someone that has done it locally all they said was that it is worth it, he had not installed it, he had someone put his in. His transmission is at 450K and still climbing. Let me know if you have done this or if you have experience with it.

Here are some of the wiring diagrams:

Attachment 35496
Attachment 35497
Attachment 35498
( If you have problems opening them try using Adobe Reader)
450k on a stock Trans??? I call BS on that one...

Cant see the diagrams... What is the mod? Lock up switch?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKED_NY_023 View Post
450k on a stock Trans??? I call BS on that one...

Cant see the diagrams... What is the mod? Lock up switch?

I was hesitant to believe about the 450K until he showed me, he did and I believed him. Yes it is the lockup switch. I wasn't sure if the diagrams would open or not. Might have to be using some sort of computer I am pretty sure. Here is the link they are located, you'll have to scroll down a little ways to see the discussion.
E4OD Torque Converter Lock Up Mods
Old 03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So he showed you the odometer? That dosent mean there is 450k on the tranny. ANY auto Trans has wearable parts. They just arent designed to last that long. He either has no idea what The milage is or he is bullchiting you. Its just not possible...

As for the mod it can be done, pullers do it all the time. Its not really a daily driver mod though... The tc is designed to have slippage... The same as easing out the clutch on a stick...

Not sure what you goal is?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Well my goal is to see if anyone has used this and if it was beneficial to them in the long run.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
ive read about others doing this only for slowing down a trailer easier and keep it locked so as not to overheat, but ive been wanting to do one along with an exhaust brake mod, i dont beleive the factory lasting 450k kause of this mod tho
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

im skeptical of the mileage aswell the lockup switch is actually a good idea if used on the highway or at cruising speeds imo i have used this same mod on many 700r4 build classic chevys and it was only used to keep the transmission temps down while cruising at highway speeds the torque converter will have some amount of slippage the lockup provides a means to completely remove the slippage at cruising speeds whick will help keep the trans temps down but for anything other than that the lockup will hurt you because the converter provides torque multiplication at the expense of rpms so if you did use it i would only use this mod at cruising speeds to reduce trans temps
Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351fifty View Post
ive read about others doing this only for slowing down a trailer easier and keep it locked so as not to overheat, but ive been wanting to do one along with an exhaust brake mod, i dont beleive the factory lasting 450k kause of this mod tho
I was thinking about doing an exhaust brake, but I thought they only worked at full capacity on a manual transmission. That's why I was unsure whether to go with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinestheman View Post
im skeptical of the mileage aswell the lockup switch is actually a good idea if used on the highway or at cruising speeds imo i have used this same mod on many 700r4 build classic chevys and it was only used to keep the transmission temps down while cruising at highway speeds the torque converter will have some amount of slippage the lockup provides a means to completely remove the slippage at cruising speeds whick will help keep the trans temps down but for anything other than that the lockup will hurt you because the converter provides torque multiplication at the expense of rpms so if you did use it i would only use this mod at cruising speeds to reduce trans temps
The only thing his truck was used for was hauling hay on trips as far as 7 hours one way. It is a CC short bed and he pulled a goose neck trailer. The truck is more less retired now as it still gets used in some instances. I am part of a lawn mower repair business and with diesel prices the way they are now I was going to load some on my truck while hauling a trailer to get the most out of my hauls/ pick-ups. While some of these loads will be bigger than others (Lawn-mowers, push mowers, etc.). I thought the lock-up switch would be a good idea to keep temps down as this is not the only use my truck receives. I haul firewood help with contracting job cites and so forth. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

it would do exactly that but it will work against you in stop and go traffick cruising at steady speeds you should use something like that what you haul in or on it makes no real difference im sure your not lacking power to where you will need to downshift so no worries
Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinestheman View Post
it would do exactly that but it will work against you in stop and go traffick cruising at steady speeds you should use something like that what you haul in or on it makes no real difference im sure your not lacking power to where you will need to downshift so no worries
I know it will work against me. Its basically when you lock the TC it is like a manual transmission. So if I would slow to much it will do damage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.