compressor manifold ideas/questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
compressor manifold ideas/questions

i have a couple questions about the stock compressor manifold on a 96 7.3 stroke. has anyone ever modified the stock y pipe b4 with out doing the intercooler way. i was thinking about a prototype stainless y pipe that i could fab out of 3" or 4" stainless pipe .... but heres the catch if you look at the stock y pipe it looks like it has a big egg shape with the two outlet pipes sticking out the under side. now i was wondering if there is a required mass of air that builds up in this space like the exhaust pipe on a 2 stroke dbike/quad where you build up the powerband. there is two ways i want to try... 1st would b like a big 4 inch can with the two 2 inch stubs out the bottem to make the y. 2nd i would try to make just two 2 inch pipes off a very short short splitter only like a inch long at the max. kind of like the exhaust on a old triumph. it would look like a thin capital a shape rather than y. any input on this would b cool. in my own head the there is only two outcomes. either it looses all the air mass that it needs to power the motor..... or in the worst case it will over charge the heads and blow the headgaskets or worse make the lower end of the motor explode. like i said im going to try and make bothmad:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sry so long guys but i have all the tools at my disposal full machine shop and i can tig just about anything. thanks for any ideas from anyone. ooo and thankss for all ur time sry about the novel of qs
Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't think that unless you are somehow going to fit a much bigger turbo that has a huge amount of air flow over what you have that the work to gain ratio would be worth it. If you made something like banks uses to plumb into the intakes with their intercooler system you might see a little gain.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think your going to overcharge it, the turbo is only going to put out what its currently putting out. Even if you did use 4" tubing, the intake manifolds on the head will need to be modded. In my mind, you'll gain nothing but lost time in this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.