6.0 E fuel conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 E fuel conversion

any know of any write-ups for e fuel using the 6.0 pump and filter set up? or how it would differ from a 7.3 e pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Diesel Freak

6.0 pump has a filter and heater built in to it
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

does it mount on the frame rail or in the valley? would i need to have a second filter? any disadvantages of using the 6.0 pump ?
Old 02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Diesel Freak

Mount it on the framerail for sure but if you have a single cab like me you'll have to get creative or use up some bed space like I did. I didn't use a 6.0 pump though just a Carter brand super duty look alike and a CAT water fuel separator and 2 micron post pump filter so yeah diffinately have a post pump filter 2 micron is recommended. Search some threads for more info
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.0 pump has a built-in water separator and pre-filter. Early models had a fuel heater. You will need some kind of secondary filter before running it to the injectors.

Pump

Modified 6.0 post-pump valley bowl

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Diesel Freak

Wow I never seen something like that before jesus
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

bill does awesoem work.... how do the filters compare in price as to if you used the NAPA heads and NAPA filters or whoevers??? isnt that filter in the pump on the 6.0 pump rather pricey???

and does that 6.0 pump supply more GPM then a single 7.3 SD pump or a dual SD pump set up.... using stock size fuel lines....
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Electrical Ogre

Not too sure on pump GPM, but it dyno'd close to 400 with lots of smoke, so the fuel is there.

I think I paid about $25 for the last set of 6.0 filters I bought. I will probably revamp the setup, and put a big 2 micron NAPA filter on the frame rail, which will get rid of the valley bowl. I have a pre-pump filter already to prevent crud from plugging up the water separator, so I can scrap the one inside the pump.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

so it just depends on what your goals are and what you are capiable of building and how much room you have. the 6.0 pump is much more compact then NAPA filters and SD pumps.... they also kinds hang low under the truck. have always been afraid of making a set up and hitting something and breaking it off

with that said i did leave my valve open on the fuel bowl after repacing the filter once and drove a few miles down the road b4 i noticed the mist comming out of the back of my truck!!

WHOOOOPS!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM
International Threat

Napa does not offer a 2 micron filter.

Here is some schooling on the subject, Napa's 2 micron filter is a nominal rating using the old measuring system. It is a 5 micron absolute filter actually. Which is at least 3 times better then what came on a 7.3 factory.

The 6.0 has a 10 micron nominal pump/filter/heater (early years) and a 6 micron nominal post pump secondary filter.

The best thing to do if you're going to use the 6.0 fuel pump for some reason is to run that to a filter base using a Cat 1R-0750 or 49 if space permits.

The Cat 1R-0750 was rated at a 2 micron absolute until the new measuring system came along. The updated system basically states that anything smaller then 4 microns can not be measured accurately. So the filter is now classified as a 4 micron absolute. The filter didn't change but the system by which they measure did.

Sooooo

Imo, the best thing to do is run a SD pump with a pre-filter water/fuel seperator that's anywhere from 10-100 microns. Then run a post pump 2 (or technically 4) micron filter.

Use any of the 1"-14 threaded filter bases for whatever you like and you will have 100 filters to choose from that are anywhere from 4-100 microns and also 5-12" long. I have a setup that uses cat filters, stock pump, walbro, fuelab, a-1000, etc... it works well.

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.