Banks OttoMind Stinger Chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks OttoMind Stinger Chip

Hey guys so I picked up this chip Called banks said it was 100hp stinger .
I have 4" turbo back exuast
cold air
stock Injectors
290000 miles on the truck
Was just wondering if this would be a bad Idea to put in on this High milage Motor. just looking for some opinions

Thanks Ted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Shouldn't hurt a sound engine at all but the most you will see is around a 60 hp increase with stock injectors.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

x2 on that, as long as its running fine now, should run better with the chip, but make sure you use gauges to monitor stuff like trans, egt, and boost to keep them in check, kause canned tunes can reak havoc on these rigs, specially an automatic
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Guys, Yeah I have pyro, & Trans guages, Dont have boost gauge was going to get one. Im good on the 60 I just want to get beyond the boost lag at take off I do alot of boat wrangling. ....my pyro reads about 500 climbing hills at 70 mph trans temp never even moves even when towing. My idiot Temp gauge on motor never even gets above the bottom first line winter summer or fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Banks OttoMind Stinger Chip-101_3386.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Sounds like your pyro probe is post turbo rather than in one of the exhaust manifolds. You might think about changing the turbo exhaust housing to a 1.0 housing it will help build boost sooner. Also might change the thermostat to a 203* one , that's what these engines where designed to run at.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ill have to take a look at the pyro install I bought it installed. what are normal pyro readings pulling a load? not sure on the stat either I will look into this. Not sure what your saying on the 1.0 ... for faster boost, But it has been a mission to figure this out on mine ...all my friends seem to build faster mine lags. I can hear ith through exaust its not dusted nor are there any loose or torn fittings its been a cunundrum for me
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM

You really should get a boost gauge to see what the turbo is doing. The 1.0 exhaust housing is a smaller than stock housing which makes the turbo spool faster. With stock injectors and no chip you may only see 800*-900* on the flats while accelerating and upwards of 1000* on a hill. With a chip it may raise the temps a little but I doubt you will ever see 1100* until when or if you install larger injectors. With my truck pulling about 8000 lbs up the 8* grade that we have here at 65 mph in third gear for just under 2 miles I have never seen my Egt's go over 1100*. When I upgrade my injectors it may be a different story but a lot of it will depend on how the chip is set up.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Buy the way like your front bumper but it looks like its mounted odd. It looks to be in better condition than mine, I need to get it re-chromed.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawpdx1 View Post
Thanks Guys, Yeah I have pyro, & Trans guages, Dont have boost gauge was going to get one. Im good on the 60 I just want to get beyond the boost lag at take off I do alot of boat wrangling. ....my pyro reads about 500 climbing hills at 70 mph trans temp never even moves even when towing. My idiot Temp gauge on motor never even gets above the bottom first line winter summer or fall.
i see 1600 easy no load but i have 120 cc injectors, and that truck looks literally like the 1 4 houses down from me, same exact bumper n everything, nice rig, and do your friends drive sd's? they have a .84 housin iirc
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM

I should have said stock 90cc injectors, always forget about the cali injectors, but on the other hand 1600* even on a cali truck doesn't seem right. I've only worked on/driven a couple of cali trucks one bone stock ,put dp/exhaust/6637 intake on it, couldn't get EGT's over 1100* on it and the other one did the same mods plus chip and 1.0 turbo housing, did tow with it and got 1250* out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.