E4OD rebuild kits???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD rebuild kits????

My son's truck finally spit out the transmission. It has developed a problem where once it warms up, it won't shift out of 1st. The OD light is NOT blinking, no codes, and it heats up fast. This past weekend, he pulled the pan to find some metal pieces. Cleaned the pan, blew out all thelines and coolers. It is still doing the same thing.

Now, we are pretty handy when it comes to our trucks. He swapped a 96 engine/tranny into his 94.5 effectively converting from manual to auto. He swapped dashes, the harness, column, and everything else required for the auto to work. It has worked fine for months now. It just started acting and now that we have some carnage, it is time to rebuild.

Sure a BTS built transmission would be awesome. Paying for it is not so awesome.. So, we decided to attempt to rebuild it on our own. He has quite a few mods done to his truck (and he did them all himself except building the injectors), intercooler, hybrid injectors, twin superduty pumps. This thing screams... We want to make it as bulletproof as possible. We have been poking around on the web and there really isn't much out there. I guess most backyard mechanics don't want to attempt a rebuild. We did find this site that offers a Stage 4 Enforcer kit... E4OD, 4R100 Transmission from PATC, E4OD, 4R100 at $1500 it seems pretty good, but my son did some research and found alot of negatives and positives. Most of the negatives were from the rebuilds that company did. There are a few kits on ebay. We just need some direction on where to get the parts and the best parts to get.

I figure as long as we take our time and go through the manual, we shouldn't have any problems. If it takes a month to do, that will be fine.

Come on folks, give up some knowledge....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you've got the funding, check out the kits from John Wood Automotive (he, like BTS, is also highly regarded). Another option would be kits from RacerX. Cheers!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This place has some good deals on parts and upgrades
Ford RWD Transmissions E4OD, 4R100 Transmission Parts Makco Transmission Parts

Plus you are gonna need a couple of tools to assembly the trans. The two most important tools you are going to need is to install the center support T-2804 -Ford- Clutch Spring Fixture- Metal [E4OD] and the one to install the intermediate brake drum assembly, foward clutch assembly and input shell assembly as one unit T-2805 -Ford- Clutch Drum / Shell Assembly Remover-Installer [E4OD] and making sure the pump halfs get put together square. Other than that overhauling an E4OD is pretty simple
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

Thanks... That is what I was looking for. Are those the only two tools I will need to accomplish this rebuild?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You will need a really big hose clamp to assembly the pump halves similiar to this T-2862 -Ford- Front Pump Alignment Band [E40D] ,two bolts with the heads cut off to align the pump in the case and one of these to take the clutch drums apart
Amazon.com: OTC 7024 Automatic Transmission Clutch Spring Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 7024 Automatic Transmission Clutch Spring Compressor: Automotive
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

I ordered the enforcer 4 kit along with new bushings, thrust washers, and bearings. I also ordered the first two tools. I thought about the one you posted above and should have ordered it too. There is a nice writeup on rebuilding the e4od and this guy says he could have used a couple c-clamps and a pipe flange to accomplish the same thing.
E4OD rebuild
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used 2 really big hose clamps and a couple of drill bits to line everything up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.