some clarification on upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
some clarification on upgrades

So i've been reading the forums heavily (i know how to use the search button) but because of conflicting info I've been reading I was hoping one of you seasoned members could give a little more input.

My rig is bone stock, and i've been deciding what the best course action is for upgrading. I want good power for light towing and 4x4ing, but not looking to max-out on performance since she is a DD. Plus I'm not made of money, and high end upgrades involve high end cash. The goal is to spend less then $1500 in upgrades and be able to justify it with gains in fuel economy. Here's what i'm planning.

Intake - I've already gone the route of the 6637 filter which is on her way.
Exhaust - We have emissions testing here, so i need to keep the cat and muffler or at least be able to swap it back in when i get tested. Currently she's running stock pipes. What are the gains of going with a 3" downpipe as opposed to just keeping the stock downpipe? Would it be a greater benefit to order a 3" downpipe and keep the rest of the stock system, or go with a 4" turbo back system (ie what are the realistic gains of a 4")?
Gauges - It looks like the scan gauges are the way to go here since they link up directly to your computer and use the vehicles current sensors. I'm thinking about going with a single AeroForce gauge and adding a pyrometer. Will this give me all the readings i need? Is there something better out there i should be looking into?
Tuner Chip - There seem to be alot of options out there for this, but i'm leaning towards a DP w/ selector switch. Is this the most bang for your buck or can you make due with less? Is there something better out there for our engine?

Most importantly I dont want to be spending money on things i dont need or could have been spent better elsewhere, so please let me know if there is anything else i should be looking into. Remember here that the goal is realistic HP gains while still keeping it a reliable vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
3 in DP will help; the cobra head is very restrictive. If you not going with bigger injectors than stage 2 the 3.5 system is fine. A 6 pos chip is nice and will let your boost come up a bit and a good tow setting on it.i like having my gauges on the dash .
Old 01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
your dash gauges do look cool,

to the op the scan gage and egt gage should be fine if your staying with stock sticks and turbo, custom tunes are great, the down pipe will make the turbo spool faster, and you will notice a difference
Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

everything sounds good.... you will need that 3" DP for any kind of tuner but 3.5" to 4" really doesnt provide much gain to HP if you keeping stock sticks....

i would vear away form DP as they are the only ones who can tune that chip. if you decide to change vendors you have to buy a new chip. get a TS 6 Position and get a vendor of choice to tune it. Tony Wildman .... Gearhead...... Swamps..... PHP
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the input guys, I think i will just order the 3" DP for now and see how it is, if I still want to open her up i will fab up a 4" straight pipe after all the other mods and see what it does for her.

Looks like my fpr is leaking, so I'll be fixing that tonight. Probably do the e-fuel conversion eventually as well, just dont want to rush headfirst into it without having collected the parts.

Last edited by Boise Outlaw; 01-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok scratch that last comment, looks like this next week I will be doing the 6637, 3" DP, EBPV delete, and E fuel

Last edited by Boise Outlaw; 01-29-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Diesel Freak

Good choices right there that's what mods I'm going to be running as soon as I get a compressor wheel for the snail
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

right on those compressor wheels are just to reduce surge right? I havent really noticed a need for one yet in mine
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Diesel Freak

No my red intake boot the one right before the turbo deteriorated and sucked in some grit and I just ordered a new one and it stripped out te first time I put it on so it's been sent back and ordered another one OBS trucks already have the "wicked" wheel
Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngbuck19 View Post
No my red intake boot the one right before the turbo deteriorated and sucked in some grit and I just ordered a new one and it stripped out te first time I put it on so it's been sent back and ordered another one OBS trucks already have the "wicked" wheel
that sucks about that, i noticed mine had a slight tear under the clamp so i'll look for another when i'm at the pick-a-part yard finding an SD fuel pump.

anyone know of a vehicle that has the filter mount for the napa cartridge filters as a stock part? might as well source those from the junkyard while i'm at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.